The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

7 lurkers | 330 watchers
Jul 2021
10:54pm, 31 Jul 2021
3,301 posts
  •  
STOOSH
That's the report up... it's not most upbeat but that was just the story of how it unfolded!

Hope the latest fall is healing well!
Aug 2021
9:02am, 1 Aug 2021
706 posts
  •  
njosmith
2 weeks out from Sunshine Coast marathon and I am reasonably positive. On the plus side I have run more than I have ever run before with June and then July both highest ever mileage months. I have run about 30% more miles than my last marathon which was in 2012 (3h25m at Manchester Marathon).

I have also got a ten km pb and a decent 5km time yesterday. I haven't run a half but hope to have a good 10 mile race 5 weeks after the marathon.

On the negative side I am concerned I am slightly over trained and today's last long run (only 25km) was not as easy as I would have liked. I feel like I am putting a lot on the taper to freshen me up for the big day.

My main concern is we have just gone into a three day lockdown. These have worked previously whenever they have been used across Australia so here is hoping this one will work as well as I promised my wife this would be a one off bid for a sub 3:15 marathon attempt and I would hang up my marathon training shoes after this.
Aug 2021
11:36am, 1 Aug 2021
4,004 posts
  •  
Curly45
Oh yikes NJO that's a lot of pressure to put on one race. Any chance of getting her into marathon running? 😂😉

Don't worry about feeling slightly over trained, that's normal imo. 2 week taper is perfect for peaking on raceday.
jda
Aug 2021
12:10pm, 1 Aug 2021
10,574 posts
  •  
jda
Sounds more like you’re a bit tired rather than really drained and in that case 2 weeks should see you champing at the bit!
Aug 2021
9:12am, 2 Aug 2021
39,394 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Stoosh, Lol! Fantastic report and great run on a tough ol course. Def a level up from WHW. Well done on completing in difficult conditions. A couple of things you can sort there of course - feet will benefit from tougher shoes (I changed from Inov-8 F-lite to Hoka Rapa Nui - yours will be different, but there are harder shoes that might work for you). And food is just practice I guess, but some find it something that can be fixed. Hot day is just bad luck. Very well done again. Had a wee tear in my eye at wee E giving you a hug and pushing you on. Awww. :-) G
Aug 2021
9:14am, 5 Aug 2021
709 posts
  •  
njosmith
Just had an email that Sunny Coast marathon has been postponed to October 10th. So 9+weeks away. Not sure what that means training wise. I may have a couple of lighter weeks and then pick up the same plan for the last 8 weeks? Any better ideas?
jda
Aug 2021
9:38am, 5 Aug 2021
10,583 posts
  •  
jda
Yeah that’s pretty much what I would do. Well actually I think I would just jump straight in to the final 9 weeks of your previous plan. Maybe if there’s any random race to do now at short notice, that could be fun and a useful test? But presumably all big events are off for a while.
Aug 2021
9:39am, 5 Aug 2021
7,224 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Sorry to hear that - although 10 days notice is better than the worst case...

As long as you're enjoying getting the miles in over the last couple of months, then keep going. Chance to get some more long runs in ;-)

Any likely change in conditions from mid-Aug to mid-Oct there? Getting warm yet?
Aug 2021
9:57am, 5 Aug 2021
710 posts
  •  
njosmith
Hmmm, there is a chance it could be quite warm in October. Could easily be 25 degrees by the end of the race. Hadn't thought of that. Shouldn't be too humid though and if it isnt humid then 25 degrees won't be too bad.

I do feel like I need at least a week of lower mileage to refresh myself.
Aug 2021
10:53am, 5 Aug 2021
4,013 posts
  •  
Curly45
I would take the most of the taper NJO, especially as you did say you were feeling fatigued.

2 weeks low mileage, 1-2 short efforts at MP and some strides, practice race day kit and fuelling
2 weeks building back up
3 weeks full effort
1 week taper

Mentally is the going to be the hard bit of the delay rather than physical so the rest is to refresh the willingness as much as the body.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey or help someone else's! here.

2024 achievers:
Akie: 3:15 @ Rotterdam
allmatthew: 3:09 @ Manchester
Mark J: 3:12 @ Christchurch NZ
PJH92: 3:13 @ London

2024 declarations:
Boston UK 28/4: SJA
Copenhagen 5/5: bowman