The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

330 watchers
Jan 2021
7:51pm, 21 Jan 2021
18,664 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Not seen that, whats been said ?

Well after 14 months it was due, another fall tonight. Ironically I negotiated 2.5 miles of ice and snow without so much as a slip. As son as I hit the totally cleared streets of central edinburgh I tripped on a slightly uneven paving stone. Even more ironically in a 1:1 with my manager she had asked about my running footwear in these conditions and I had said just normal shoes and I hadnt fallen in ages

No damage done, lost a bit of kneecap skin, put a hole in the palm of my best gloves and somehow scratched the face of my garmin.
Jan 2021
8:27am, 22 Jan 2021
1,415 posts
  •  
Daz Love
No damage done! Your tough up there :) Kneecap skin is two weeks off work down here :) :)
Jan 2021
8:43am, 22 Jan 2021
5,008 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
yep, defo a sick day Baz!

lots of stuff out there like this on VLM yesterday. Looks like the virtual might be here to stay.

athleticsweekly.com
Jan 2021
8:49am, 22 Jan 2021
1,982 posts
  •  
Paul N
There's gold in them thar virtual hills
Jan 2021
8:50am, 22 Jan 2021
18,667 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
The virtual thing doesn’t surprise me and has the potential to be an extra source of easy income for big events.
Jan 2021
8:59am, 22 Jan 2021
1,984 posts
  •  
Paul N
NI assembly have moved out lockdown out to the start of March, and seem to be positioning it to extend to Easter.

The race course marathon postponed here at Christmas, had been rescheduled in line with the anticipated lifting in February.

Assuming, lockdown rolls on to Easter, and the marathon organisers continue in the same vein regarding running the thing at the earlier possible date thereafter. It would coincide exactly with my cancelled Paris marathon, and the P&D schedule that I am currently following.

Mental gymnastics I know, but it helps to have something to focus on!
Jan 2021
9:00am, 22 Jan 2021
5,010 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
aye, it doesn't appeal to me but I remember there being loads of folks out there last time trudging up and down the Thames path in the mud, wind, and rain.

I suppose the pride in simply completing a marathon and getting the t-shirt is massive for some, less for the likes of us, of course.
Jan 2021
9:08am, 22 Jan 2021
5,011 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
good luck PN, hope you can stay focused.

From an English perspective I think there is a chance that there will be looser restrictions by the spring but I still think there'll be some sort of local tiering system in place. It'd make sense* for travel to be restricted between these different zones and so while I can see that races can be staged, it feels like a lottery as to whether or not you'd be able to travel to them.

*obviously, sense is in short supply across senior figures in Westminster
Jan 2021
9:15am, 22 Jan 2021
37,207 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I was surprised to see that VMLM are saying pretty confidently they expect 50,000 runners on the streets (and presumably 1M spectators as usual?) in October.

Even their press release doesn't make sense "govt say everyone vaccinated by Sep... so our race in October"?

bbc.co.uk

I started looking at autumn marathons (more interested in warm, overseas e.g. Palma) but certainly don't feel confident enough to book anything. Nice to think about though! :-) G
Jan 2021
9:31am, 22 Jan 2021
2,675 posts
  •  
B Rubble
As I have said before, I think it is going to be a long time before it's safe and acceptable to have hundreds of sweaty, panting runners in a tent before and after a big event.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey or help someone else's! here.

2024 achievers:
Akie: 3:15 @ Rotterdam
allmatthew: 3:09 @ Manchester

2024 declarations:
Christchurch NZ 21/4: Mark J
London 21/4: KS, larkim
Boston UK 28/4: SJA
Copenhagen 5/5: bowman