The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

2 lurkers | 330 watchers
Sep 2020
10:43am, 14 Sep 2020
2,581 posts
  •  
B Rubble
I really enjoyed it Baz. The first time I've done a marathon without time pressure (except two of us had to finish within 6 hours to get a medal/shirt - but I've got enough of those).
SPR
Sep 2020
10:46am, 14 Sep 2020
31,321 posts
  •  
SPR
Sounds like you had an enjoyable run BR.

Baz - The fact you can't decide makes me think an easy run is the way to go. When it gets tough what's going to be your motivation for continuing to work hard?
Sep 2020
11:07am, 14 Sep 2020
4,815 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
good stuff BR, it was good to see you pop up on strava with that run. Pleased for you :-)

decisions, decisions Baz. I think you could run a 3:15 without too much bother. Given SPR's point above, I think I'd set out at about 3:10 - 3:12 pace and build myself a bit of a buffer in in case it got a bit hard in the last 10k. In case of thread outrage, I'd see that as a buffer against it not being a 'real race' and the mental challenge that comes with that rather than advocating time-in-the-bank :-O

I'm thinking about helping some of the locals with their own virtual attempts, maybe with a bit of company for the later miles. Got to decide who to volunteer for though. I wouldn't want to be a hindrance rather than a help (I've got a mate looking to run about 2:50 and I wouldn't want to act as any kind of anchor!).
Sep 2020
11:46am, 14 Sep 2020
17,512 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
The positive with a faster attempt is that it will force me to break the streak which will hit 200 days later this week.

I mostly side with SPRs view of just getting a lone 26.2 miles (plus contingency) done. However every so often the competitive side of me suggests I should try for something a bit more taxing.
Sep 2020
12:28pm, 14 Sep 2020
11,918 posts
  •  
larkim
There's no reason why the whole 26.2 needs to have that "challenge" element though. You could do it with 5km progressions to a set pattern (taking care to ensure that the 35-40k segment isn't too hard!), or 2hr out, 1h30 back.

Or a "Royal Flush" by mile starting at 9m30, with 5s increments per mile? Can still be a challenge without the whole thing turning into solo-sufferfest.
Sep 2020
9:39am, 15 Sep 2020
2,583 posts
  •  
B Rubble
Ha, yes WW, my brief return to strava. The rest of my runs aren't really worth posting at the moment unless you're interested in low HR training, or staying alive as I call it.

if you're doing it on your own Bazo why not prepare for the most competitive one but be ready to drop down to a jog across the countryside, finishing at a familiar place. The thing I most enjoyed on Sunday was running the last two miles along a favourite part of the Cotswold Escarpment then dropping down into town to finish outside a really nice pub. Epic.
Sep 2020
7:31pm, 16 Sep 2020
7,646 posts
  •  
LouLou
Nicely run BR.

Bazo definitely go for sub 3.15 - the sidebar needs you if nothing else!

Not much running happening here... Stoosh and I are expecting baby number 2 and our flashy treadmill still hasn't arrived.
Sep 2020
7:40pm, 16 Sep 2020
17,528 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I did my first speedwork since early March last night. 6 x 1/2 mile much closer to 6mm than I anticipated.

Congrats to you both, I saw the hints on Strava. Stoosh must be like a child at Christmas with a Baby and a Treadmill on the way ;-)
SPR
Sep 2020
7:45pm, 16 Sep 2020
31,394 posts
  •  
SPR
Congrats LouLou

Maybe that's your motivation Baz? The thread roaring you on?

I'm not sure WW's plan works as it will just get 'harder' earlier so motivation needed for longer. I like the progressive plan in theory. How easy could you make the first half to make the second half a challenge that isn't too tough but would engage/ motivate you mentally.
Sep 2020
7:52pm, 16 Sep 2020
17,529 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
SPR ,I ran a negative split 3:09 once and would need to check back to see how the splits were on that. I am probably in similar shape to that time. It may be no bad idea to do the first half in 1:37:30 then see how I feel

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey or help someone else's! here.

2024 achievers:
Akie: 3:15 @ Rotterdam
allmatthew: 3:09 @ Manchester

2024 declarations:
Christchurch NZ 21/4: Mark J
London 21/4: KS, larkim
Boston UK 28/4: SJA
Copenhagen 5/5: bowman