BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

The sub-20 5k dread-thread

94 watchers
1 Feb
1:23pm, 1 Feb 2021
5649 posts
Huntsman
My plan is polarised training building up to a regular 160ish miles a month with just a few hard sessions included amongst the 160 miles.

The hard sessions will probably be 5k time trials 😁
1 Feb
1:37pm, 1 Feb 2021
596 posts
Big_G
I miss parkrun, but my parkrun PB is an annoying 20:00. I've gone sub-20 in official races though. My fast parkrun course (Torbay Velopark) is 1.5 miles from me so it's perfect really as I can jog down but, interestingly, the winter course is probably quicker than the summer course for me if it’s not windy.

In both winter and summer it's two laps of a tarmac track, and then in the summer it's out round a field for a mile to finish. That field gets waterlogged in the winter, so in the winter it's 3 laps around the tarmac track and then up and down a muddy/flooded path to finish. Basically, I'm particularly crap at any sniff of off-road, although I love training on the coast path, but it is a goal to get under 20 on that course. I rinsed myself to get 20:00 and it was all I could do on that day, but soon after I did something like 19:30ish on a road course fairly comfortably. I wasn’t any fitter, but it just shows I’m much more comfortable on tarmac. Also, at the race I was in a group of probably 10 runners which makes it a lot easier, whereas generally I’d be more likely to be on my own at parkrun.

Mt Edgcumbe is a great course, although I haven't done Lanhydrock. I really enjoyed Eden Project the time I did it, but again it’s not a quick one.
24 Mar
9:11am, 24 Mar 2021
2293 posts
Paul N
Back is now Ormeau Parkrun monkey free. 19:19 post to post.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Homer
For those aiming to get a sub-20 5k