The sub 2.45 marathon thread

219 watchers
Mar 2021
8:27pm, 2 Mar 2021
20 posts
  •  
depeche_mould
It's Gold Coast marathon in QLD, Damo. (I'm an Irish guy exiled in Aus 🪃)
Mar 2021
8:58pm, 2 Mar 2021
13,434 posts
  •  
Jock Itch
Good plan lads.

Bobby - great memories on the champ start year after year. No more for me but six times and proud just to have been there.

Tigs- quality. Never seen someone with do much spring.
Mar 2021
2:12am, 6 Mar 2021
21 posts
  •  
depeche_mould
Anyone interested in some carbon-plate comparisons (hoka vs vaporfly vs puma), prob worth nine minutes of your time..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y40PhcaJxE4&t=28s
Mar 2021
7:53am, 6 Mar 2021
184 posts
  •  
Stokesy
Disappointed to see races still being cancelled as far forward as May and pushed to next year - a couple I had been keeping an eye on have recently bailed out. Looks like we could be in for another Summer of time trials and motor racing circuits!
Mar 2021
9:08am, 8 Mar 2021
2,347 posts
  •  
James74
Chin up Fam, not long, feel it in my water.

Fancy the Strawberry line soon?
Mar 2021
11:59am, 8 Mar 2021
185 posts
  •  
Stokesy
Absolutely yes - a break from the Bristol to Bath track is well overdue, as is a proper catch up!
Mar 2021
9:40am, 9 Mar 2021
504 posts
  •  
damo_HAC
Depeche, thats pretty amazing that the Next% gives you a stride length of 11cm more than the Hoka/NB. Basically the Nike carbon plate, together with the foam propells you forward further than other brands. This is just one guy, so not very scientifically significant, have there been other studies showing the same thing??
Mar 2021
8:51am, 27 Mar 2021
22 posts
  •  
depeche_mould
Interestingly Damo, as you might know all the research suggests most of the biomechanical advantage of these new shoes come from the foam (in the case of next percent it's the pebax) and not the plate itself -- which gives only tiny advantages. I don't know where he's got this increased stride length figure from either. Couldn't find anything online!
Mar 2021
10:32am, 27 Mar 2021
120 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Your stride length can be worked out from cadence and distance, which most fitness devices pick up

Was told that Nike tech people said (to a decent runner I know) their data suggests it's nearly all foam causing the increase in speed. Carbon plate maybe stabilises the foot/ankle and stops shoe bending too much in the middle, but it's all a bit handwavey on that front.

Stick a carbon plate in an old racing flat and I think it will do next to nothing to change your speed, it's all about the bouncy Pebax

More Pebax, more free speed - as seen with the sub 2 thing
J2R
Mar 2021
5:39pm, 27 Mar 2021
3,520 posts
  •  
J2R
This is what I've heard, too. It's the foam that's doing the job, and the carbon plate makes it possible by preventing deformation of the foam. Given the success of the Adidas shoes in the Valencia HM in December, it's obviously not just Pebax which does this.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gobi