The sub 2.45 marathon thread

219 watchers
Feb 2021
11:57pm, 19 Feb 2021
14 posts
  •  
depeche_mould
Nice AJLB -- I didn't realise you can get shoes via NRC I don't use it. Jock let us know how you go with the shoes -- they do seem a ridiculously fair price. I too was afraid and uncomfortable to try a carbon plate, so went for (to me) the most natural looking : the Hoka Rocket X... they are pretty reasonably priced too
Feb 2021
8:55am, 20 Feb 2021
13,400 posts
  •  
Jock Itch
Delivery expected late March. Reviews are excellent though. Will do.
Feb 2021
9:07am, 20 Feb 2021
183 posts
  •  
Stokesy
Are those in Yank sizes JI? Iā€™m tempted to take a punt at that price.
Facebook has sent me a timely reminder that tomorrow marks the 4th anniversary of The Wrong Bramley debacle - good times!
J2R
Feb 2021
9:22am, 20 Feb 2021
3,416 posts
  •  
J2R
depeche_mould, thanks for that. I think they'll go on my shopping list for later in the year, although the Saucony Endorphin Speed is also a contender.
Feb 2021
2:09pm, 20 Feb 2021
13,401 posts
  •  
Jock Itch
If you click on sizing chart Stokesey it'll tell you ;) Ah yes I remember your mistake. Nice race that :) good memories.
Feb 2021
7:06pm, 21 Feb 2021
498 posts
  •  
damo_HAC
I'm doing Edinburgh Half at the on 30th May. What do you think the chances of it actually going ahead? Vaccine roll out is going well so you never know, it might actually happen šŸ˜šŸ˜
jda
Feb 2021
8:09pm, 21 Feb 2021
9,472 posts
  •  
jda
As a starting point, I certainly wouldn't spend any money (eg booking accommodation) that was that was not fully refundable unless I was entirely happy to lose it. TBH I'd find it difficult to motivate for training too, I reckon it's a really long shot. It's not necessarily impossible to be racing at that point, but will they really invest the time and money setting it up given that they have to plan N weeks in advance?

My plan from March last year - which has stood the test of time pretty well - is to just not book or even plan anything at all until further notice. Once stuff starts up, it will be the smaller events first anyway, which will give you time to ramp up planning and training for major target races. Manchester marathon 2022 may be my next major goal, but no need to think about that yet.
Feb 2021
10:06pm, 21 Feb 2021
499 posts
  •  
damo_HAC
Well I'm pretty lucky in that I could almost jog to the start line of Edinburgh as a warm up. Even if it doesn't happen I'm going to run a half marathon that day anyway.
Feb 2021
7:20am, 22 Feb 2021
1,489 posts
  •  
Chris
I guess we'll find out today how likely it is. From the news rumblings it sounds like some events may happen in the spring but with social distancing measures. I know Edinburgh isn't a massive event so hopefully they can stagger the starts enough for it to happen
Feb 2021
8:41am, 22 Feb 2021
86 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Almost 11,000 in the half marathon results and 7,500ish in the marathon results for last two EMFs

I'd be surprised if they go ahead, but also expect in 14 weeks for case numbers to be near the levels they bottomed out at last summer, with far higher levels of immunity everywhere...so it might still happen

About This Thread

Maintained by Gobi