Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

the strange science of recovery

4 watchers
Jun 2019
9:28am, 27 Jun 2019
2384 posts
Drell
Somebody was talking about recovery recently, in a blog I think or possibly on a thread somewhere. Anyway, there's an interesting review of Good To Go: What the athlete in all of us can learn from the strange science of recovery, by Christine Aschwanden at https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2019/06/26/book-review-good-to-go-by-christine-aschwanden/. The review summary:

This book argues persuasively that when it comes to optimizing the recovery portion of the exercise-recover-exercise cycle, nobody knows nuthin’ and most people who claim to know sumthin’ are wrong. It’s easy to read and has some nice anecdotes. Worth reading if you have a special interest in the subject, otherwise not.

The full review focuses mainly on methodological and statistical issues, as that's the focus of the blog it appears on.
Jun 2019
9:38am, 27 Jun 2019
43307 posts
GlennR
Thanks Drell. I'll try the link again:

statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu
Jun 2019
10:08am, 27 Jun 2019
1312 posts
SailorSteve
Thanks, enjoyed the review.

There seems to be such dogma in so many areas of running that I find the lack of hard conclusions refreshing - if not likely to sell many books!

“...Different things work differently for different people, so following the same recovery routine as your sports idol might not work for you; (9)

Some recovery methods, maybe a lot of them, really do help some people simply due to the ‘placebo effect’, and there’s nothing wrong with that: if it helps, it helps.”
Jun 2019
11:41am, 27 Jun 2019
7914 posts
larkim
I get a accused of trolling sometimes (!) when pitching odd approaches or seeking data to back up "received wisdoms", but that review seems to chime with what I've read over the last few years - that whatever is felt to be good or right from a training perspective is probably equally as good or right as some other common sense thing. So just find something that feels like it works for you, and you'll be OK.

I like "different things work differently for different people".

(Of course, there is a valid debate about how big window is of "common sense things", but you know it when you see it, don't you?)
Jun 2019
12:21pm, 27 Jun 2019
1313 posts
SailorSteve
Quite so larks!

If I could put my finger on why yesterday’s run felt such a struggle and yet today’s was such a joy I’d bottle it and keep it for future use.
Jun 2019
1:19pm, 27 Jun 2019
7918 posts
larkim
I'd actually like there to be more rules so that I could follow them - it gives me justification for going down a certain path beyond bare "faith".

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Drell
Somebody was talking about recovery recently, in a blog I think or possibly on a thread somewhere. A...