The Spine/Spine Challenger Races 2018

10 watchers
Feb 2017
7:21am, 28 Feb 2017
4,037 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
So after completing the spine challenger this year I am down for the full version next year. This year all my kit performed perfectly with the exception of my footwear choice (La Sportive Trango GTX lightweight walking boots) which started to leak 30 miles in, so this year will be mostly concentrating in getting my footwear sorted.

Thus i have a new pair of Scott Kinabalu to try, and have ordered some Inov8 x-claw shoes as well. I love buying (running) shoes I do :-D
Feb 2017
8:23am, 28 Feb 2017
1,608 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
Good luck.
I have zero experience of events on that scale, I have decided my sweet spot is 50m or 100km, stuff I can do in a day and drive home that evening :-)

However, when it comes to staying dry and comfortable all day in foul weather outside, I have worked outdoors in the past for a number of years, involving a lot of walking.

Have you considered waterproof socks? They can be quite good. Even if you go for waterproof shoes, a pair in your pack plus a microfibre cloth to dry your feet weighs very little, but allows for dry feet again after shoes start to leak. They do have their own "quirks" in terms of usage and fit. So best not to try them on the day for the first time, like all kit :-)

Hope it all goes well :-)
Feb 2017
8:27am, 28 Feb 2017
1,609 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
Oh, and I am a sandal wearer these days, so oddball alternative is to not wear socks/shoes :-p I did a heavy mud section of the Winter Poppyline barefoot completely to the amusement of those around me as I got better grip/feel than when I had the sandals on :-)
Feb 2017
8:40am, 28 Feb 2017
35,606 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm looking forward to more of your excellent blogs :)

I feel safe around Spine Race stuff, knowing that it's well out of my reach in every way. Even more so now that it has to be done unsupported.
Feb 2017
11:06am, 28 Feb 2017
4,038 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
Yes RIC - i intend to wear Dexshell socks and toe sock liners in whatever i end up wearing. I will probably have a couple of changes of footwear in my drop bag so can decide on the fly :-)
Feb 2017
11:08am, 28 Feb 2017
4,039 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
Oh and thanks V - i enjoy writing them, i just have nothing to report at the moment, apart from still having skin peeling off my feet at an alarming rate.
Sep 2017
8:38pm, 25 Sep 2017
3 posts
  •  
lake
Well, I just thought I'd say hello. I'm doing the challenger in 2018 January...with the longer term aim of the full Spine in 2019 (but don't tell the wife).
I did the Thames Ring 250 in June of this year and the Arc of Attrition at the start of the year...but thought I'd go for something really shit this time.

(There is a race report of those two on ultra-average.com)
Sep 2017
8:59pm, 25 Sep 2017
36,875 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Cooool! welcome, Lake :) Please keep us up to date with your progress.
Sep 2017
9:29pm, 25 Sep 2017
45,533 posts
  •  
swittle
V impressed with your Challenger race this year: perfect springboard for this untamed beast of an event.
Oh, yes: enjoyed your blogs too :)
Nov 2017
3:46pm, 13 Nov 2017
4,079 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
Hi Lake, great to hear you are up for the Challenger. you already have 2 other races I want to do on your CV so you should find the Challenger a breeze. But one word of advice, dont treat it like an Ultra - treat it as an adventure race. The weather/terrain totally makes it different from most other UK races.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisThePuma
So after completing the spine challenger this year I am down for the full version next year. This ye...