The Spine 2019

29 watchers
Jan 2019
9:39am, 18 Jan 2019
1,181 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
On the level playing field issue. What in terms of a kit weight is a level playing field? Absolute weight or relative weight? Last year the male winner weighed pretty much double the female winner, yet they basically had to carry the same weight. And It's not just about the amount of weight It's all the other factors it impacts like your centre of gravity and hence stability.
Jan 2019
1:01pm, 18 Jan 2019
18,082 posts
  •  
flanker
ff, I always have a v light 'waterproof' in the bag whenever I take my Paramo to a race, just in case I get a pedantic kit checker. If I'm forced to carry it as well it's not a disaster, and if the weather is so bad I'm taking the Velez in the first place another layer will be no bad thing!
Jan 2019
2:26pm, 18 Jan 2019
1,182 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Flanker, which is the perfectly sensible response to the pedantic. It just amuses me no end that people with stacks of experience (including MRT) have it as there go to kit but others with far less experience continually say it isn't good enough!
Jan 2019
3:00pm, 18 Jan 2019
7,668 posts
  •  
GordonG
an alternative BBC report bbc.co.uk
Jan 2019
7:32pm, 18 Jan 2019
28,587 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
MRT don’t mess around with kit (or anything else either). I’d much rather listen to them that someone putting on a ‘new race’ like the Spine

Have a look at the Fellsman kit list, check out where and when it’s on and consider I know some right tough buggers who’ve done big chunks of it wearing the whole lot of what’s on the list
Jan 2019
2:07am, 19 Jan 2019
18,083 posts
  •  
flanker
Fellsman kit list is ridiculous. Until the heavens open with driving sleet on Gt Whernside. Last year I had on all 5 mandatory l/s layers and it was still cold. And it want even a bad year!
Jan 2019
4:37am, 19 Jan 2019
28,593 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
A couple of years up here to toughen you up and you’ll be in a t-shirt next time ;-)
Jan 2019
8:04am, 19 Jan 2019
1,205 posts
  •  
Gromit
I have no issue with what’s on various kit lists and I too was carrying paramo and a taped seam jacket , my issue is with people entering races knowing full well what the kit list is , and being sent in numerous format, kit requirement clarifications regarding mats and stoves but then turning up to kit check with all the correct kit in the car but trying to get away with the exact kit which has been pointed out as not passing checks..... weight is no an issue as there is always the runners that either can or can’t afford to buy the lightest swanky kit by level playing field I’d like to know the runners at the front respect the rules of each individual race the same as I do .... same old argument if you don’t like the kit list or the rules or the whole race set up .... don’t enter
Jan 2019
9:49am, 19 Jan 2019
1,184 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
I think we'll just have to disagree on whether the front runners respect the rules as written to any less degree than those in any other part of the field, I would suggest there is no evidence that they don't. The arguments arose because the kit presented met the letter of the rules but was rejected without anyone being able to say why. Those at the sharp end will always look to get as tight to the rules as possible, It's part of being competitive in a race, which after all is what we're talking about for them. The problems arise when those writing the rules leave gaps and then try to fill them with opinion. This very much a Spine problem and I've never seen it happen to anything like the same degree (and It's certainly happened consistently over the last 3 years I've been around the race) in other races with the same issues of environment and weather. Including races like the KIMM/OMM where kit checks at the finish have always been very much part of the race for the front end during the years I took part.
Jan 2019
12:18pm, 21 Jan 2019
52,603 posts
  •  
swittle
'Women's Hour' BBC Radio 4. 19 Jan. 2019. Interview with Jasmine Paris.

41:45 to 47:54

bbc.co.uk

Also, articles on Malala Yousafzai, and 'Comfy trainers' .....

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Derby Tup
Jasmine doing well I hear