The Song of Achilles - May 2019 Book Group discussion thread

8 watchers
May 2019
7:59pm, 25 May 2019
9,398 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Thanks for the info about Circe being out in paperback! I might wait a bit until my TBR pile is a bit smaller though....
May 2019
12:52pm, 30 May 2019
4,273 posts
  •  
quimby
Well, I finished it and gave it a 7. It is certainly not a book I would have picked up if not for the book group. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't terribly dry history. I liked Patroclus, although his killing spree in Achilles' armour was a bit unbelievable.
Jul 2019
7:11am, 26 Jul 2019
28,697 posts
  •  
LindsD
I loved this. Normally I don't get on with books based on Greek mythology as I can't retain all the details of the actual myths but that was probably an advantage here. I found their love story beautifully described and the bits about war and tradition and culture very well done. I especially liked the little references to the fact that they were not speaking English. The only thing that jarred a bit was the transformation at the end, how Achilles became so proud, but I guess that's the story and all those years of war and killing would do that. Going to read back now.
Jul 2019
7:21am, 26 Jul 2019
28,698 posts
  •  
LindsD
And I just bought this (before reading SoA, and totally coincidentally)

nytimes.com
Jul 2019
5:49pm, 27 Jul 2019
18,267 posts
  •  
Columba
I passed the book on to Youngest Son and he says he thinks it's the best book he's ever read.
Jul 2019
5:50pm, 27 Jul 2019
13,413 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Goodness :-)
Jul 2019
6:06pm, 27 Jul 2019
18,271 posts
  •  
Columba
(His degree was in Ancient History and Archaeology, which may have something to do with it)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
When Adrian Chiles was a little boy his greatest wish was that when he grew up he'd present a t...