The Sandwich Generation - Aged Ps and children to care for?

24 watchers
Aug 2020
1:37pm, 17 Aug 2020
46,530 posts
  •  
McGoohan
(or that she only trusts them when she's known them long enough to count as friends?)
Aug 2020
1:38pm, 17 Aug 2020
17,246 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Yes. Now she views them as nurses she lets them care for her as nurses in a hospital would. The previous ones she would make a coffee and biscuit for and have a chat.
Dec 2020
6:21pm, 29 Dec 2020
47,917 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Just absolutely lost it with our eldest. He's been complaining about pains in his legs for days now and he phoned 111 on Christmas Day claiming he was unable to walk. Understandably they are a bit busy. He eventually spoke to a clinician who reckoned it is muscle fatigue and if it doesn't get better, to speak to our GP.

Over the next few days, indeed he got steadily better. However...

Our GP reopened today. Eldest came slithering down the stairs on his bum at 3:30pm saying he couldn't walk. Did he phone the doctor? Yes, they had no appointments and told him to phone back tomorrow. Okay - when did you phone? 2pm.

He'd been up all f***ing night playing computer games, gets up at 2pm and is surprised when all the appointments have gone. Turns up downstairs and expects us to... what? Sort something out? He takes zero responsibility for anything. Zero! He is 25 years old!

And get this, he wants to go to medical school next Autumn. To this end, he has a well paid, temp job starting in a week. But he reckons he won't take it - he'll look for something else. So - how will he fund this medical school? Hmmm, I think he's hoping we will step in and bankrupt ourselves...

I am absolutely furious, event though I realise we have been enabling this.

Rant over. Wish I could say that made it feel better but it did not.
Dec 2020
8:03pm, 29 Dec 2020
43,930 posts
  •  
LindsD
I feel your pain, McG.

What did he say when you pointed all this out to him?

(I'm glad the thread is back, by the way. It's just the place for me at the moment)
Dec 2020
8:12pm, 29 Dec 2020
47,919 posts
  •  
McGoohan
He's stormed off to his room. His brother made a special vegetarian dish for him/us all, which he barely touched. Refused to eat any of the cake I made or drink a tea made by me.

Liebling is acting as mediator - he can't understand why I'm angry. And he's now angry with me. I shouldn't have lost my temper because he has anxiety and depression - which is a very self-centred illness - but which he also uses as a kind of blackmail. Bend to my will, because you don't know what I might do.
Dec 2020
8:15pm, 29 Dec 2020
43,936 posts
  •  
LindsD
God, that sounds really tough.
Dec 2020
8:19pm, 29 Dec 2020
47,922 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I suppose it was cathartic at the time but there is now a dreadful atmosphere in the house which I do not know how to fix.
Dec 2020
8:25pm, 29 Dec 2020
43,940 posts
  •  
LindsD
I hate that. Is it possible for everyone to sleep on it?
Dec 2020
8:53pm, 29 Dec 2020
47,923 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I wish I knew. I just went upstairs - he's doing online computer games. He'll probably keep at this for several more hours.
Dec 2020
9:02pm, 29 Dec 2020
43,945 posts
  •  
LindsD
:(

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
I thought we already had a thread for this but it may have just been talk on the Aged Ps/Teens threa...