The Overstory - June 2019 Book Group discussion thread

10 watchers
Jun 2019
6:14pm, 20 Jun 2019
14,823 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Lol - so the fact you've finished it is a good sign?
Jun 2019
7:59pm, 20 Jun 2019
40,101 posts
  •  
McGoohan
*Sharpens pitchfork* Maybe it is, maybe it is. *Lights flaming brand*
Jun 2019
8:02pm, 20 Jun 2019
4,312 posts
  •  
quimby
I'm only half way through. But I'm reading some every evening now; I was a bit lax in the first half of the month. It's growing on me (cackle).
Jun 2019
8:12pm, 20 Jun 2019
40,102 posts
  •  
McGoohan
You can get a spray for that
Jun 2019
8:49am, 21 Jun 2019
367 posts
  •  
Deinonychus
Completely agree with Chrisull. I do think I look at trees differently since I read the book.

When I was reading it, i remember joking to a friend that I was reading a book where the main character was a tree, but I was only half joking. In fact I bought Peter Wohleben’s book soon after I finished The Overstory, but haven’t yet got round to it yet.
Jun 2019
10:30am, 21 Jun 2019
4,404 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
I really enjoyed reading this. I have another book on the go, but kept returning to The Overstory.

It was complex with all the different characters and overlapping stories, but I liked the format that made it like reading short stories. Patricia was my favourite character and the most rounded.
It did make me look at and think about trees differently - especially our human actions to clear things up and remove dead wood.

Some of the stories were less satisfying than others (the couple who met at am dram) and I was a bit disappointed by the ending. But the writing was rich and deep and really made you think.

I'm doing a creative writing project about a tree at the moment so this was great background reading.
Jun 2019
10:47am, 21 Jun 2019
14,836 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yeah Patricia was great wasn't she? I must admit the couple at the am dram irked me at first, but there was something touching about their failed relationship imploding and out of the frustrations and failures they found a flawed but occupied new life (I want so say fulfilled, but it isn't, but they have contentment in their discontent). I like the tiny acts of rebellion, refusing to cut the grass, and I like the way Powers doesn't weave their story (the lawyer who can see a defence for the protesters) into the main fabric of the story. In this it reminds me of Iain Banks "Walking on glass" where in three mini stories, protagonists have "solutions" to dilemmas in other stories but have no way to cross communicate them. Yes the ending is very muted.
Jun 2019
1:34pm, 21 Jun 2019
80 posts
  •  
The Pin Lady
First long book I have read for ages. Really enjoyed it. Reminded me a lot of Barbara Kingsolver - Prodigal Summer. I wasn't sure about some of the outlying stories - Neelay and Dorothy and Ray. I couldn't quite see where they fitted into the story but did like the short sections with them in.
It was a good book to make you think about trees, their impact on our lives and as other people have said, make you look at each tree you pass in a different light.

It has however scuppered my theory that most books that get short listed for the Booker prize are unreadable for mere mortals like me. (Life of Pi being the only other exception I can think of)
Jun 2019
1:52pm, 21 Jun 2019
40,140 posts
  •  
McGoohan
MMMmmmm, pie
Jun 2019
2:15pm, 21 Jun 2019
338 posts
  •  
snayak
Ha I felt the same PL!

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
When Saruman's and Sauron's forces threaten Fangorn Forest, the Ents are finally stirred i...