The Official Unofficial Book Group Book Discussion thread

1 lurker | 57 watchers
Oct 2021
6:00pm, 14 Oct 2021
18,557 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Over half way through "Rodham", the alternative history of if Hillary had never married Bill Clinton. It's a great fun so far, occasionally unconvincing, but there's a strange kind of pathos when she breaks up with Bill that the reader feels, an empathy, generated by strong writing. I mentioned on the politics thread that there's such disrespect for women in politics (Diane Abbott is another who springs to mind), that you forget just how hard they (and certainly Hillarry) had to fight against sexism, against the establishment (she famously didn't go to Harvard, because one of the professors said "there's too many women here" - there was 10%, and instead opted for Yale) in her early days. And there's a deep irony that she was "the establishment" that Trump railed against. There's plenty of sex, because with Bill Clinton there like has to be. It's a reminder how politics hinges on small tenuous outcomes, and these parallel universes that never come to be were once within touching distance. Looking forward to the last half...
Oct 2021
8:32pm, 14 Oct 2021
50,165 posts
  •  
LindsD
Sounds really interesting, Chris. I like what-if books.
Oct 2021
9:19pm, 15 Oct 2021
50,194 posts
  •  
LindsD
Finished Slaves of Solitude. Thank you for the recommendation, Dio. I really enjoyed it.
Oct 2021
9:21pm, 15 Oct 2021
63,529 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I’m really glad you did.
Oct 2021
9:27pm, 15 Oct 2021
50,196 posts
  •  
LindsD
Despite having plenty of books, I have bought Excession and also an Ann Patchett
Oct 2021
9:28pm, 15 Oct 2021
50,197 posts
  •  
LindsD
Kindles are too easy.
Oct 2021
9:45pm, 15 Oct 2021
63,531 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I’ve almost finished The Constant Gardener, just in time for the last Le Carré which is out imminently.

I like the way Le Carré became more angry, more outspoken as he got older.

Whilst his mid-career books, the Smiley novels, A Perfect Spy, are undoubtedly his best, I admire the way he moved from detached,world-weary protagonists to passionate, aggrieved outsiders. We went from civil servants playing the game to disillusioned pawns disrupting the status quo.

I read that, even nearing 90, he adopted Irish nationality towards because of he dismay at Brexit. The passion burned bright to the end with David Cornwell.
Oct 2021
9:46pm, 15 Oct 2021
21,353 posts
  •  
Columba
Just been reading a review of the last (posthumous) Le Carré. A bit mixed.
Oct 2021
12:56am, 16 Oct 2021
80,928 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I have started SWIT in the bath. It seems I am the only one enjoying it...
Oct 2021
6:05pm, 16 Oct 2021
21,358 posts
  •  
Columba
Perhaps reading it in the bath is the answer?

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Unofficial books, underground discussion, MASSIVE SPOILERS.

Some of the most discussed books include:

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke
(mind-bending mystery with halls and statues)
hive.co.uk

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman (geriatric murder mystery from Britain's tallest comedic brainbox)
hive.co.uk

The Salt Path by Raynor Winn
(Memoir of a homeless couple walking the SWCP)
hive.co.uk

Milkman by Anna Burns
(Superlative prize-winning fiction)
Hive link: hive.co.uk

The Player Of Games by Iain M. Banks (Sci-Fi)

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley (weird steampunk)