The Official Unofficial Book Group Book Discussion thread

57 watchers
Sep 2021
10:49pm, 16 Sep 2021
4,735 posts
  •  
Pothunter
MrsPH had the new Richard Osman delivered today.
Sep 2021
11:00pm, 16 Sep 2021
62,855 posts
  •  
Diogenes
So much better than the old one, but where on Earth are you going to keep him? He’ll eat you out of house and home.
Sep 2021
11:07pm, 16 Sep 2021
23,203 posts
  •  
Serendippily
*pictures a mass of teeth and leg grinning on the sofa behind mr abd mrs ph*
Sep 2021
7:38am, 17 Sep 2021
49,662 posts
  •  
LindsD
Enjoyed The Tenderness of Wolves (Stef Penney), a kind of whodunnit set in Canada in the 1800s. Lots of cultural/colonial stuff.

Currently really enjoying The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George, translated by Simon Pare. Lots of good writing about grief, amongst some funny parts.
Sep 2021
8:04am, 17 Sep 2021
14,180 posts
  •  
Badger
Concur with Angus re Poet. They're all in the same setting, characters cross over, publication order is the way to go. Same when you get to the Lincoln Lawyer. That and the Poet don't draw much on established characters, later ones generally do.
Sep 2021
9:22am, 17 Sep 2021
129,387 posts
  •  
GregP
Thank you kindly sir. If you both say Poet then Poet it is.

Thus far (two thirds through), Last Coyote isn't actually as miserable as I feared. Suspect things are going to get worse before they get better mind.
Sep 2021
5:19pm, 18 Sep 2021
50,278 posts
  •  
McGoohan
So....

Anyone else read The Lamplighters by Emma Stonex?

I'm half way and have whizzed through to that point. It's a slightly inspired by true events fable of three lighthousemen who disappear one night in 1972. The door is locked from the inside, the table is laid for dinner (but only for two) but there is no trace of them. The narratibve jumps back and forth between 1972 and 1992 when a writer investigates and questions the women they left behind.

So far, so intriguing, right? There have been a couple of interesting developments and I thought I knew where it was heading. However at almost exactly half-way it hasn't quite jumped the shark but has more sort of climbed on the shark's back and is riding it around the lighthouse. I think I'll be hurling this book at the wall before I'm finished.
Sep 2021
5:41pm, 18 Sep 2021
49,689 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hm. Not selling it to me.
Sep 2021
7:36pm, 18 Sep 2021
37,840 posts
  •  
Night-owl
I'm reading The Last Detective by Peter Lovesey.

Apparently he taught in a local college near me in the early 70s.
Sep 2021
8:12am, 19 Sep 2021
129,393 posts
  •  
GregP
Just finished Bosch 4 - thanks to SB and DM for pushing me to read it.

5 star review from me on Goodreads.

Hugely impressive. Head and shoulders above most crime fiction I’ve read recently - and that includes Connelly’s previous three novels. Not quite as unremittingly bleak as I’d feared either. Outstanding.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Unofficial books, underground discussion, MASSIVE SPOILERS.

Some of the most discussed books include:

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke
(mind-bending mystery with halls and statues)
hive.co.uk

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman (geriatric murder mystery from Britain's tallest comedic brainbox)
hive.co.uk

The Salt Path by Raynor Winn
(Memoir of a homeless couple walking the SWCP)
hive.co.uk

Milkman by Anna Burns
(Superlative prize-winning fiction)
Hive link: hive.co.uk

The Player Of Games by Iain M. Banks (Sci-Fi)

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley (weird steampunk)