The Official Unofficial Book Group Book Discussion thread

57 watchers
Nov 2020
11:02pm, 29 Nov 2020
1,708 posts
  •  
beebop
James Ellroy! Bloody autocorrect thinks it’s only one L. The ‘n’ in James is on me, though.
Nov 2020
6:11am, 30 Nov 2020
123,938 posts
  •  
GregP
We knew what you meant :)
Dec 2020
6:19am, 3 Dec 2020
123,997 posts
  •  
Little town of Greplehem
Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. How it will pan out remains to be seen but it gets off to a really, really good start. Suspect the fist couple of chapters might be free under the Kindle sample thing. I’m liking very much.
Dec 2020
6:23am, 3 Dec 2020
123,998 posts
  •  
Little town of Greplehem
[I also think the writing will really annoy Dio and McDearLeader. Which is a bonus]
Dec 2020
6:29am, 3 Dec 2020
55,466 posts
  •  
Diogeneezer Scrooge
Can’t be any worse than the title ;-)
Dec 2020
6:32am, 3 Dec 2020
124,000 posts
  •  
Little town of Greplehem
[you'll particularly love the way the author can’t resist a simile after pretty much every sentence. Like a cat being unable to resist covering his stools with pure fresh soil]
Dec 2020
8:08am, 3 Dec 2020
47,524 posts
  •  
McGoohan
The first review that came up on Amazon had the title 'Dystopian Hogwarts' which made me laugh out loud. Then I read the preview and laughed even more. His similes are like a dog performing magic tricks. You're impressed by the attempt, but get rapidly bored with the result.
Dec 2020
8:13am, 3 Dec 2020
47,525 posts
  •  
McGoohan
(But to be perfectly fair, that is the sort of thing Liebling would devour in an evening on the sofa and then claim was rubbish.)
Dec 2020
8:36am, 3 Dec 2020
124,002 posts
  •  
Little town of Greplehem
I'm loving it to bits in a guilty pleasure kind of way.

Sclerosis skin, a shallow chin lost in folds of stubbled fat. A sheen of spittle at his mouth, whiskey’s kiss scrawled across cheeks and nose, and his eyes, O, Daughters, his eyes. Blue as the sunsburned sky. Glittering like stars in the still of truedark.
Dec 2020
8:51am, 3 Dec 2020
55,468 posts
  •  
Diogeneezer Scrooge
[BTW, I dreamt last night I was telling someone in a bookshop about a book I was writing which featured nuns and art history. It sounded like a work of genius. When I woke up I realised this meant I dreaming I was Dan Brown.]

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Unofficial books, underground discussion, MASSIVE SPOILERS.

Some of the most discussed books include:

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke
(mind-bending mystery with halls and statues)
hive.co.uk

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman (geriatric murder mystery from Britain's tallest comedic brainbox)
hive.co.uk

The Salt Path by Raynor Winn
(Memoir of a homeless couple walking the SWCP)
hive.co.uk

Milkman by Anna Burns
(Superlative prize-winning fiction)
Hive link: hive.co.uk

The Player Of Games by Iain M. Banks (Sci-Fi)

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley (weird steampunk)