The Official Unofficial Book Group Book Discussion thread

48 watchers
14 Sep
3:43pm, 14 Sep 2022
72,779 posts
  •  
Diogenes
It's strange that we should've had the same idea. I'm sure there was a novel in the last 20-30 years that was built around G&S (and not GO'S), but I've not been able to find it.
14 Sep
3:56pm, 14 Sep 2022
26,603 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Yes I searched too. I definitely did watch topsy turvy when that came out as I liked Mike Leigh and Jim Broadbent but that’s quite a jump
16 Sep
3:10pm, 16 Sep 2022
72,839 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I've just read the first chapter of A Heart Full Of Headstones, the new Rebus novel by Ian Rankin that comes out on October 13th. It looks like it's going to be a cracker.
24 Sep
9:15pm, 24 Sep 2022
36,793 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I finished The Constant Nymph this afternoon. I had guessed how it would end some time before the last page. I can't say I enjoyed it; none of the characters apart from maybe Uncle Charles was at all likeable, the world of music snobs is not one I have any knowledge of or desire to inhabit - and yet, I have to say it was well written and certainly a different take on an 'eternal triangle' between a husband, wife and 'other woman'. That the 'other woman' is only fifteen is another reason not to like it.

I shall move on to For Whom the Bell Tolls now (current Book Group thread choice) and after that I've been persuaded by friends that I really should read something in French. They've recommended 'L'Elégance du Hérisson by Muriel Barbary. Has anyone read it? I've ordered a second hand copy and I suspect I'll be reading it with my Petit Robert open at all times ;-)
24 Sep
9:58pm, 24 Sep 2022
57,108 posts
  •  
LindsD
I've just finished The Twyford Code by Janice Hallett. Disclaimer: I know her.

I enjoyed it and it's got a great twist. But it's a bit over complicated.
24 Sep
10:03pm, 24 Sep 2022
40,322 posts
  •  
Night-owl
LazyDaisy not actually read it but have the English translated version on my shelf had started it but got sidetracked I will read it bought it a while back as saw it in the bookshop and it intrigued me without knowing much about it or the author
24 Sep
10:12pm, 24 Sep 2022
73,024 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I finished the novella Assembly, by Natasha Brown last night. It very highly regarded but very slight and oblique. I wasn’t convinced.
25 Sep
7:46am, 25 Sep 2022
10,803 posts
  •  
neufalabonk
^ I really liked it. It is one of the books that will probably require repeated visits to fully reveal itself.
25 Sep
9:07am, 25 Sep 2022
73,027 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I think you are right, it needs (and deserves) a re-read.
25 Sep
5:39pm, 25 Sep 2022
19,548 posts
  •  
Chrisull
As does Alan Garner's Treacle Walker...

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Unofficial books, underground discussion, MASSIVE SPOILERS.

Some of the most discussed books include:

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke
(mind-bending mystery with halls and statues)
hive.co.uk

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman (geriatric murder mystery from Britain's tallest comedic brainbox)
hive.co.uk

The Salt Path by Raynor Winn
(Memoir of a homeless couple walking the SWCP)
hive.co.uk

Milkman by Anna Burns
(Superlative prize-winning fiction)
Hive link: hive.co.uk

The Player Of Games by Iain M. Banks (Sci-Fi)

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley (weird steampunk)