The 'new' Dr Who

92 watchers
Oct 2022
2:57pm, 24 Oct 2022
5,954 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
I didn’t watch any of the recent episodes or specials, and didn’t feel like I missed anything with this episode. It was nice to see Jodie’s Doctor with a decent script, even if it was a bit frenetic. And she got a good ‘in character’ last line.

Tennant coming back, not just for a one-off and the virtual other incarnations were a super surprise.

I am looking forward to seeing Ncuti though.
Oct 2022
10:44pm, 25 Oct 2022
9,393 posts
  •  
GordonG
I've always felt a bit sorry for Paul mcgann, could have been a good doctor but never got the chance. Would love to see some episodes where he's somehow in it along with the current doctor.
Oct 2022
11:38pm, 25 Oct 2022
18,639 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
He's done an extensive set of Big Finish 8th Doctor adventures.

Annoyingly though, they refuse to do a 'Netflix' style subscriber model - at anything from £15 to £40 for a "series" of a few episodes, it's ridiculously expensive to buy to listen.

If they were say £6-7 a month, I'd happily subscribe and listen to them on and off whilst working.

As it is, I try to catch them when they're on 4extra.
Oct 2022
11:43pm, 25 Oct 2022
18,640 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
(as an aside, I think it's mad that the BBC hasn't also done something similar for their extensive radio archives - they'd do well with a netflix model selling on demand access to things like Just a Minute and ISIHAC etc - although a big part of me does think that we've paid for these via the license fee, so should be freely available on demand anyway).
Oct 2022
9:31am, 26 Oct 2022
91,804 posts
  •  
swittle
With digital storage of archived BBC material, there should be fewer and fewer 'lost tapes' to bemoan.
Oct 2022
10:38am, 26 Oct 2022
18,641 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
The argument used to be that they couldn't make it all available on iplayer/sounds because they made too much cash from DVD/CD sales, but now with that starting to fall off a cliff as streaming becomes dominant, how much longer is that a commercially viable strategy?

I realise they've gone in with ITV on 'Britbox' for TV, but they could quite easily do a BBC Sounds Archive service?

Perhaps the killer is the server costs for the data storage for access.
Oct 2022
11:09am, 26 Oct 2022
91,805 posts
  •  
swittle
Useful insight, fozzy. My radio listening increased from 4-5 hours a week to over 8 now, probably as a result of staying at home more during the pandemic. I assume audio tape archiving is 'easier' than video - but how does that compare with, say, 35mm film? I'm speaking about physical size: even when digitalised, there'll still be a market for 'the original'.
Oct 2022
9:13pm, 26 Oct 2022
57,665 posts
  •  
LindsD
Juat watched it. Sad not to have the Tennant reveal as it was mentioned on Today on Mon morning. Sure it would have been a real wow moment if I hadn't known. Was a bit unmoved by it all but then found myself tearing up at the companions' support group. Did like the callbacks. Onward. Glad Tennant is back.
Oct 2022
9:37pm, 27 Oct 2022
20,744 posts
  •  
flanker
You know there's a spoiler thing you can use on here? ;-). I'll look forward to watching it and try to forget that... err ... there something in it I might once have known.
Oct 2022
9:41pm, 27 Oct 2022
57,680 posts
  •  
LindsD
Sorry. It was several days later. I thought anyone on the thread would have seen it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Legless
verdicts please