The Mistletoe Murder - Book Group Discussion Thread

12 watchers
Dec 2017
7:43pm, 28 Dec 2017
8,986 posts
  •  
Badger
I liked this, for the most part. Thought the last one was weakest - fairly clear what was going on early on, and no big surprises as it was unravelled. First was an interesting puzzle and a nice twist at the end. Second nicely creepy reveal. Third quite brilliant. I will look into the novels.
Jan 2018
6:39pm, 1 Jan 2018
8,267 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I'm not a big fan of short stories, they always seem to finish just as they get started. And like others have said I'm not sure that crime fiction works that well in this format. I've read a lot of PD James and I really like her novels, especially the longer ones were you get a real feel of the characters.

So these stories were a mixed bag. They were mostly enjoyable but slight and I don't think I'll remember much about them in a few months' time. The exception was the 1st story which I loved. It had a great atmosphere about it and I think if there some back story added it could make a great film.

I gave this book a 6.
Jan 2018
8:25pm, 1 Jan 2018
20,971 posts
  •  
LindsD
Agree about the film LD
Jan 2018
5:23pm, 4 Jan 2018
14,557 posts
  •  
Columba
Haven't yet read the existing posts.
I enjoyed this, though it's not "my" genre. I like the author's way of stepping back and making comments on her stories such as "it's pure Agatha Christie". And I like the way that if you're attentive enough you can pick up on the clues as you go along (I got several of the 12 Days ones, but by no means all).

The one I liked best was the Commonplace Murder. I thought the end was intriguingly ambiguous. Was it Ernest Gabriel; or was it Mr. Mortises?
Jan 2018
5:36pm, 4 Jan 2018
14,558 posts
  •  
Columba
Mr WHO? - Morrisey!
Jan 2018
5:38pm, 4 Jan 2018
98,708 posts
  •  
GregP
MTB mortises
Jan 2018
5:39pm, 4 Jan 2018
98,709 posts
  •  
GregP
Oh good grief.
Jan 2018
5:40pm, 4 Jan 2018
14,559 posts
  •  
Columba
Now read back.

I went through a detective novel phase a very long time ago and particularly liked Dorothy Sayers / Lord Peter Wimsey. There was also an author called Ngaio Marsh; can't remember anything about the books except that I liked them.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
I'm sorry Miss Eltoe
I am for real
Didn't mean to make your daughter cry
I apologise a trillion times

The place, the in place to review December 2017's Book Group choice. Do it or do not do. There is no tripe.