The Meaning Of Liff

14 watchers
Nov 2020
1:22pm, 6 Nov 2020
54,534 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Being good sort of people, you are probably already familiar with Douglas Adams and John Lloyd's "The Meaning Of Liff*" (now incorporating "The Deeper Meaning Of Liff")

hive.co.uk

For those that aren't, this is what it's all about:

In life, there are hundreds of familiar experiences, feelings and objects for which no words exist, yet hundreds of strange words are idly loafing around on signposts, pointing at places. The Meaning of Liff connects the two.

For example: KETTERING (n.) - The marks left on your bottom or thighs after sunbathing on a wickerwork chair, or ELY (n.) - The first, tiniest inkling that something, somewhere has gone terribly wrong.

*LIFF (n.) - A book, the contents of which are totally belied by its cover.

I thought we ought to have a Meaning Of Liff thread on Fetch, especially for things which are running or Fetch related.
Nov 2020
1:25pm, 6 Nov 2020
6,626 posts
  •  
Raemond
The definition of Aberystwyth in that has always tickled me - A nostalgic yearning which is in itself more pleasant than the thing being yearned for.

(not true in the case of the real Aber, of course, which really is the best place in the world and more pleasant than most people who've never been there could imagine)
Nov 2020
1:26pm, 6 Nov 2020
54,535 posts
  •  
Diogenes
For example on my run this morning I navigated one of these:

SIDLESHAM (n.) - A short semi-circular path around the side of a gatepost used to avoid opening the gate.
Nov 2020
1:46pm, 6 Nov 2020
54,537 posts
  •  
Diogenes
GOADBY MARWOOD (n.) Any non-runner who asserts that running is bad for your knees, and that they knew a "jogger" who died of a heart attack.
Nov 2020
1:50pm, 6 Nov 2020
54,538 posts
  •  
Diogenes
FACCOMBE (v.) - A person who invariably calls running "jogging"
Nov 2020
1:50pm, 6 Nov 2020
507 posts
  •  
faithfulred
I'll never forget Aberystwyth...
Nov 2020
2:02pm, 6 Nov 2020
7,104 posts
  •  
sallykate
Love that book!
Nov 2020
2:58pm, 6 Nov 2020
20,340 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Despite being Very Scottish, MrsC was born in Aberystwyth. We have often found it useful, over the years, to have a second rugby team! :)
Nov 2020
3:23pm, 12 Nov 2020
36,433 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sturry (n.): A token run. Pedestrians who have chosen to cross a road immediately in front of an approaching vehicle generally give a little wave and break into a sturry. This gives the impression of hurrying without having any practical effect on their speed whatsoever.

That's quite a good running one.

Dio, are you expecting us to make ones up? Not sure I can be anywhere near as witty as D Adams and J Lloyd (Professor of Ignorance now?)
Nov 2020
3:36pm, 12 Nov 2020
54,772 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Yes, I thought we could make up some new ones, hence those I added.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
There ought to be a word for it...

hive.co.uk