The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet - Book Group discussion thread

11 watchers
Aug 2019
9:11am, 2 Aug 2019
9,514 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
You're right Columba but that felt as though she only made him change so he could be the one to inject Ohan. That way none of the "nice" characters had to compromise their integrity.
Aug 2019
1:10pm, 2 Aug 2019
18,295 posts
  •  
Columba
Ah, true, Nemo.
Sep 2019
2:46pm, 21 Sep 2019
29,545 posts
  •  
LindsD
I finished this during the week. At first I thought I wouldn't like it as I didn't think the writing was very good. It felt a bit like a school project or something a creative writing student would write (I note it was self-published). Then I started to really enjoy it and sped through it. It's ages since I read a proper 'set in space' sci-fi book, and I liked the characters and different ideas. The character development was a bit patchy, but that didn't spoil my enjoyment. I enjoyed the way that conventional behaviour was gently challenged. I especially liked the 'treating sex like we treat food/eating' discussion, and I sent the page where Kizzy talks about what it is to have a brother to my sister, as I thought it was brilliant. A great read, I gave it a 7 but was veering to an 8.
Sep 2019
2:52pm, 21 Sep 2019
29,546 posts
  •  
LindsD
Just read back and, as quite often in book club threads, feel a bit naive. I don't mean that in a poor-me way, just in a 'gosh I must really tolerate bad writing'. In my defence, it probably says a lot about my current state of mind that I enjoyed being immersed in bad writing and clunky dialogue that was predictable and had a happy ending. Still glad I read it :)
Sep 2019
2:56pm, 21 Sep 2019
14,110 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I think your professional exposure to bad writing means it has to be a lot worse than this. I agreed with all of McGoohans pastiche and it didn’t bother me at all :-)
Sep 2019
2:59pm, 21 Sep 2019
29,547 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's a pertinent observation :)
Sep 2019
10:01pm, 21 Sep 2019
9,639 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Do you read a lot of sci fi, LindsD? I felt that if I hadn't read much before I would have liked it a lot better.
Sep 2019
10:05pm, 21 Sep 2019
29,554 posts
  •  
LindsD
Not any more. I used to when younger.
Sep 2019
8:43pm, 22 Sep 2019
18,475 posts
  •  
Columba
Me too. Perhaps it's a Young Person's genre.
Aug 2020
9:02am, 30 Aug 2020
122,124 posts
  •  
GregP
I operate on a lower intellectual plane than many Book Group members I suspect, and consequentially value entertainment above literary excellence. Sometimes this makes me feel lumpen and provincial. Not here though.

Finally started TLWTASAP last night and I’m utterly charmed. Sorry, not sorry.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
When Petra Peppy, space-accountant signed up for Space Pirate Academy she never dreamed one day she&...