The Living for Less Thread

125 watchers
Dec 2015
9:40am, 29 Dec 2015
33,204 posts
  •  
Raptors Claws are coming to town
I went to the Hotel Chocolat website, filled a basket with half-price chocolates, realised that I could buy bars of good-enough solid chocolate (which I prefer to goo-filled sweeties anyway) from the Co-op for less than half the cost per 100g, emptied the basket and closed the window.

And resolved not to buy myself any more chocolate till the Christmas gift chocolate has been eaten. Since what remains is most of a box of Quality Street (the icky flavours), a Norwegian Kit Kat (which can be a post-run snack) and a hamper of Montezuma dark chocolate variants (pseud-food, much too, erm, *good* for my coarse palate), this may take some time.
Dec 2015
5:17pm, 29 Dec 2015
3,960 posts
  •  
CC2 Speedy Goth
I didn't get any chocolate for Christmas. Well, I did, but it's milk chocolate and I don't eat dairy so it's no good to me!
Dec 2015
8:56pm, 29 Dec 2015
68,434 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I was given a small quantity of incredibly good dark chocolate. Just right :)
Jan 2016
9:28pm, 27 Jan 2016
1,241 posts
  •  
Craig_
Just spotted a unused men's fetch running top on ebay - £10 if anyone is interested... :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/331764429974?
Feb 2019
10:22am, 26 Feb 2019
1,625 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Still skint!

Is there any cross-over between this thread, the reducing plastic thread and the zero-waste threads?

Trying to think of money making schemes and failing miserably!!
Feb 2019
10:39am, 26 Feb 2019
40,681 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
There should be some cross-over. My advice for a money-making scheme would be to develop and market a consumer lifestyle product that people can buy in order to wave their "reducing plastic" credentials but that has to be replaced repeatedly. Those breakable ceramic sipper-cup-for-adults things are a good example.
Feb 2019
1:39pm, 26 Feb 2019
1,627 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Hmm, beeswax poop bags for dog owners? That sort of thing?
Feb 2019
10:18pm, 26 Feb 2019
4,046 posts
  •  
CC2 Speedy Goth
I'm still skint too!

I reuse my sandwich bags, which counts as both saving money and reducing plastic ;)
Feb 2019
10:42am, 27 Feb 2019
11,555 posts
  •  
richmac
^^ can't deny that, I don't use sandwich bags, have my wraps squeezed into my tupperware (not a euphemism)

Bought a flask from Aldi the other day, to replace buying a coffee of a morning and hopefully 1 at lunchtime (which I don't do everyday) I 99% of the time have my own cup so the morning coffee is only £1.50 and has no waste, the lunch one is at another shop and I drink in but costs £2.80 The flask cost a fiver, just taking into account morning coffee, yesterday was the break even point!

I'm sure you could do maths to prove it's not this simple as I have to buy the ingredients of the coffee, but it's still cheaper and I'd suggest as I'm making both coffees in 1 go then I'm saving a fuck load of CO2 emissions.
Mar 2019
9:44am, 4 Mar 2019
70,292 posts
  •  
Hanneke
RM, I did the same! I have tupperware and flasks, just bought one that has a built in infuser so I can take herbal teas (I grow my own, so it is loose leaf and fresh in summer) with me.

I calculated that when I lived and worked in London I spent £10/day average on takeaway coffees and lunches. We used to make our own lunches in the gallery, but not when at art fairs and stuff. Now I live in the middle of scenic nowhere, so not much in the way of takeaway coffees to have. If/when I go on a workshop or something like that, I bring my own. It really does help.

I am still living on a shoestring. Was made redundant in 2014, still 'temporarily' freelancing. Because of Brexit, my fuel bills and whatever food/stuff I buy in Aldi have gone up by 30% since the referendum. A typical shop every 4-6 weeks now costs £60, used to be £40!!! And as for fuel price, well! I wished I could get rid of the old van! It is my single biggest expense and would really really help not having it. I had no car in London, which helped hugely with my monthly outgoings!

About This Thread

Maintained by CC2 Speedy Goth
A thread for people who either need to live on next to nothing in order to get by, or for those who choose to do so in order to save up for that special something. Useful links will appear here in the header as and when I get around to it!

Discounted foods - buy in bulk to offset delivery charges
www.approvedfood.co.uk/?afid=ddf874

Free money when you buy things you were going to buy anyway, just for a few mouse clicks
topcashback.co.uk

Free Graze box

www.graze.com and use code C2DMYQB