Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

The Line of Beauty - March 2021 Book Group Discussion thread

11 watchers
24 Feb
8:02am, 24 Feb 2021
48693 posts
  •  
McGoohan
We're here to talk of Alan Hollinghurst's 2004 tale o' buccaneers, a-raidin' galleons for their doubloons, drinkin' grog and making merry on the good ship Hispaniola.

Give us your thoughts on The Line of Booty below. Arr.
24 Feb
10:02pm, 24 Feb 2021
57931 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Oh, I thought it was about a coke-snorting horse?
25 Feb
8:45am, 25 Feb 2021
57939 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Or maybe fashion police investigation other corrupt fashion police officers (in plain clothes, obviously).
25 Feb
8:57am, 25 Feb 2021
57940 posts
  •  
Diogenes
[actually, I think that'd work better as fancy-clothes officers, but there's no edit button]
11 Mar
10:49am, 11 Mar 2021
45582 posts
  •  
LindsD
Am I first? That rarely happens.

I absolutely loved this *pats self on back for good choice*. As I said on the main thread, I am a little bereft at leaving Nick behind. I want to know what happens to him.

It's not perfect, and I could pick holes in various things, but I'm not going to.

I really liked the writing, and highlighted some passages in my Kindle, which I've never done before (and don't seem to be able to do very successfully all the time). I stupidly thought that meant they would be stored somewhere but I can't find them now :(

I found the depictions of the class system and how you feel as not-quite-fitting-in really chimed with a lot of my experience as a state school pupil of working class parents at Oxford. Not bad experiences, just a sense of not quite being 'in'. It was a really good companion piece to It's a Sin, taking place at the same time, but in a totally different milieu.

I liked Nick as an unreliable narrator, and the fact that the story was told from his pov but in the 3rd person. I thought Hollinghurst captured the flawed and complicated nature of a young person really well and could absolutely believe in him.

I am annoyed at having read the foreword, which was Sebastian Faulks saying 'make sure to notice *that* - it will be important later' but that can't be helped. I think I'd have picked up the clues anyhow.
11 Mar
10:49am, 11 Mar 2021
45583 posts
  •  
LindsD
I gave it a 9
11 Mar
11:11pm, 11 Mar 2021
58370 posts
  •  
Diogenes
100 pages in. This might seem a strange thing to say, but I’m finding it a bit straight so far.
12 Mar
7:48am, 12 Mar 2021
45602 posts
  •  
LindsD
I know what you mean.

Also meant to say that I thought it was a good representation of the excesses of the 80s.
19 Mar
8:41am, 19 Mar 2021
4944 posts
  •  
westmoors
Sorry Linds, but I can't say I enjoyed this one. It just never gripped me. I struggled to read it and often found myself doing something else when I could have been reading.

Having finished it last night, I can't really remember much about it apart from a gay twenty something lodging at a prominent politicians house. Was there a story?
19 Mar
8:43am, 19 Mar 2021
4945 posts
  •  
westmoors
I only scored it a 3.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Back to the main Book Group thread: fetcheveryone.com/forum/book-group-56655/

And a poll for this one:
fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=8705

Booty Call: