BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

The Line of Beauty - March 2021 Book Group Discussion thread

11 watchers
11 Apr
2:24pm, 11 Apr 2021
826 posts
  •  
Peregrinator
Excellent nomination, reviews and thoughts - greatly enriched my view of the book. Something should be done about the preface. Wanders off to order Martin Amis's Money from the library....
11 Apr
6:21pm, 11 Apr 2021
59082 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Money is a strange one. When I first read it, in my early twenties, I thought it was fantastic. I loved the language and the pace. I tried to read it again a few years ago and didn’t feel the same.
11 Apr
6:54pm, 11 Apr 2021
827 posts
  •  
Peregrinator
Hmmmmm.... thinks - do I more resemble the youthful or the more mature Diogenes?
10 Jun
1:56pm, 10 Jun 2021
867 posts
  •  
Peregrinator
Well, I read Money by Martin Amis. Not sure I understand exactly what sort of film John Self was involved with, or what his role was, or why it all came crashing down at the end. But maybe that's not important right now. It reflected that money in the 1980s had changed from something counted in sovereigns and sixpences, to a immaterial thing: vast wealth appears in some people's pockets and disappears from others, without apparent reason. And that's before quantitative easing. Did have other recognizable bits of the 1980s: clapped out cars and the Royal wedding. Not sure why Martin Amis appears as a hero, other than because he can. Or perhaps it's actually about writing. Still don't like the 1980s.
10 Jun
2:23pm, 10 Jun 2021
47632 posts
  •  
LindsD
Interesting reflection. It's not my favourite of his. But I do think it reflects a certain aspect of the time. I may have said that before.
17 Jun
8:36pm, 17 Jun 2021
8823 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
The TV adaptation of the Line of Beauty is available on UKTV Play currently which is the catchup app associated with various freeview channels. Can be watched via devices casted to a TV or on a smart TV, or even on a laptop.

Quite a few other gems of classic British TV on there as it goes.
17 Jun
10:36pm, 17 Jun 2021
47775 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thanks TMW

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Back to the main Book Group thread: fetcheveryone.com/forum/book-group-56655/

And a poll for this one:
fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=8705

Booty Call: