The Last Family In England - Book Group discussion thread

5 watchers
Jan 2019
7:16am, 28 Jan 2019
3,036 posts
  •  
westmoors
Having read back, I agree the characters were dull.

Hadn't really noticed the Shakespeare connection and I studied Henry IV Part 1 for O level English!

Agree with McGoo about taking a dog on an abseiling trip. I did wonder who was going to climb back up to collect him!
Jan 2019
8:16am, 28 Jan 2019
38,070 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I was thinking about this. I know Malham Cove quite well. There's a large 'staircase' to the left made by the council/National Park which winds round. Even so it's very steep and it takes a while to get to the top.

Logically, they would have left the dog tethered at the bottom - if they'd taken him at all - then walked up and set up the abseiling gear, abseiled down and collected the dog. Of course someone would have had to go back up anyway for the equipment. Even so, the top of Malham Cove is limestone pavement: even a tethered dog here would be at danger of slipping and breaking a leg. You just wouldn't do it. The dog is only there so it can bite through the ropes. It makes no sense at all.
Jan 2019
8:50am, 28 Jan 2019
11,237 posts
  •  
Serendippily
The whale eating a boiled egg at the end of night birds in Nantucket did marvels for my ability to suspend disbelief it’s become the yardstick by which the feasibility of all other plots are judged ;-)
Jan 2019
8:53am, 28 Jan 2019
38,071 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Spoilers! ;-)
Jan 2019
8:53am, 28 Jan 2019
26,142 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yeah. WE were OK with talking dogs but not with abseiling irregularities...
Jan 2019
9:06am, 28 Jan 2019
38,073 posts
  •  
McGoohan
But of course...

It's reminded me of the story Mark Kermode tells - he went to see the ultra-weird David Lynch film Eraserhead when it came out with a friend. At one point, his friend leaned over and said, 'Well, *that* would never happen' as if any of the rest of it would!
Jan 2019
4:59pm, 31 Jan 2019
5,676 posts
  •  
postieboy
Right, last day of the month so time to explain my choice and own personal thoughts on The Last Family In England.

I chose this book, not because it's a favourite of mine but to see what your reactions would be, especially the ending. Matt Haig must have been going through a bad patch in life to write such a melancholy story with a nasty twist at the end to really leave a bad taste. The first thing I did after finishing was to find a palette cleanser to cheer myself up! Checking Out by Nick Spalding if you're interested, he writes some very funny stories.

Part of me regrets not choosing The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro as it is a book on a different level to this one but like I said a month ago, I wanted to choose a fast read which wouldn't eat into everyone's reading time.
Jan 2019
6:13pm, 31 Jan 2019
26,184 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's interesting, pb. Thanks for sharing that. You are right about the nasty taste.
Jan 2019
7:11pm, 31 Jan 2019
34,121 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Pb, your reasons for choosing this book are almost identical to mine for choosing The Humans, the first ever book group book, also by Matt Haig. I’d read it and really wanted to hear other opinions on it as I really wasn’t sure what mine were.
Jan 2019
7:24pm, 31 Jan 2019
32,303 posts
  •  
Night-owl
It was OK even though you knew how it was going to end but not necessarily why. I liked it to an extent.

I don't know if anyone follows him on twitter but he talks a lot about mental health and is a supporter in helping others thus so,

Yes postie I reckon it could have been written when he was going through a tough time, this was also the first book he had published

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Well howdy there, pardner. Throw another log on the fire and come along cowboy and let's us sit...