BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter
The Last Family In England - Book Group discussion thread
5:54am, 14 Feb 2019
panadVery late to the party, but I finished TFLIE just over a week ago.
I found it to be a very easy, quick read which served it’s purpose very well as a book that could be picked up and put down for the odd few minutes reading
My take on the pact was that Matt was using it to essentially explain why labradors as a breed have the specific characteristics that they have, compared to the ‘path’ in life those of the other dog breeds - who have lost their way and therefore behave in different ways.
The general plot of the human characters was pretty predictable, and seemed to be explaining how/why humans as a species behave as they do, and why larger society is changing as it is. I do like the way Matt includes characters with mental health struggles in a way that normalises them.
As with How to be Human the some of the interactions/plot lines seemed very illogical and just didn’t seem to make sense at all. Eg why Prince was taken on the abseiling trip.
The short chapters, while, serving their purpose for the pickup/putdown-ability of the book made it feel very disjointed at times, with some of the events feeling very much like after-thoughts that had been thrown in to bulk it out a bit. In some ways it felt like a book that hadn’t quite been finished writing, but a story with it’s general plot mapped out that still needing filling out and generally coming together to become a complete story.
Not a book I felt like I regretted reading/continuing with, but was left a bit unsure about the experience. But I was glad that it hadn’t required much time and thought investment to do so!
About This Thread
Maintained by McGoohan
- Olive Kitteridge - July 2021 Book Group discussion thread
- Book Group
- The Line of Beauty - March 2021 Book Group Discussion thread
- Homegoing - April 2021 Book Group Discussion Thread
- On the Black Hill - Feb 2021 Book Group discussion thread
- HHhH - Nov 2020 Book Group discussion thread
- Kindred by Octavia E Butler - Book Group Choice for Jan 2021 - discussion thread
- Book Group - Christy Malry's Own Double Entry
- A Single Thread - August 2020 Book Group discussion ...er... thread
- A Christmas Party - Dec 2020 Book Group discussion thread