The Immortalists - Book Group March 2020 discussion thread

8 watchers
Apr 2020
10:51am, 9 Apr 2020
19,585 posts
  •  
Columba
Having read the earlier comments:

In case McG may be wondering, it wasn't I who gave it a 4. I didn't vote in the poll (I usually don't).

"each character feels like a cipher" and "da yoof are da future" - yes, yes, yes, McG.

Peregrinator - light/dark, short-lived/long-lived; yes, that's one of my objections, not because I don't or do agree with what the author is apparently saying/recommending, but because the book is being used to Deliver a Message. If people want to deliver messages, they should write tracts or essays or blogs. Not novels.
Apr 2020
9:57pm, 22 Apr 2020
560 posts
  •  
Peregrinator
Columba: remembered I was going to say: an interesting read would be a believable story of how children in a family grow up with such divergent life views. But I think these are so precisely placed that would be hard to do.
Apr 2020
9:40pm, 23 Apr 2020
19,655 posts
  •  
Columba
It would indeed be an interesting read. Thinking of Families of 3+ Children I Have Known (including my own) I think for the most part they are not nearly as divergent as the Immortalists' family.
Apr 2020
10:20pm, 23 Apr 2020
561 posts
  •  
Peregrinator
Being one of three boys - yes - or at least a common starting point, even if other experiences have caused us to diverge somewhat. OH says she got the best of the three (I think).
May 2020
6:30pm, 16 May 2020
10,533 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
First of all, a disclaimer. It's possible that this book was just the wrong one at the wrong time. In these Strange Times I'm not sure I want to read a downbeat book. Maybe in normal times I would have liked it better.

It has a great idea as a starting point but I don't feel it lived up to it. The fact that we got basically 4 novellas meant that each sibling's story seemed too short and superficial. Simon's story in particular annoyed me as it just seemed like a series of gay/AIDS cliches strung together.

Klara's and Daniel's stories were more interesting and I liked the recurring character of Eddie. It made me wonder if he was some sort of catalyst to why the prophecies came true. So I was disappointed when he didn't turn up in the 4th part.

I found Varya's story an odd mix of yet more cliche and interesting scientific ideas. Would you choose a longer life if you had to limit your food and live it quietly? But I'm so bored of women being broken by giving up children for adoption and going mad because they are single! Also the monkey research part was horrible :-(

To end on a positive note it was easy to read and written well enough.

I gave this book a 5
May 2020
6:37pm, 16 May 2020
10,534 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I see I'm out of step with most of you!
May 2020
6:43pm, 16 May 2020
36,541 posts
  •  
LindsD
I do share your views about the monkey research bit but I wonder whether it bothered me less because I read it before lockdown
May 2020
6:52pm, 16 May 2020
10,535 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Especially after reading WAACBO :-(

Right, I know it's doesn't sound like a comforting book but I have a reread of Case Histories lined up to cheer myself up :-)
May 2020
7:11pm, 16 May 2020
45,311 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I think my reactions to stuff in-lockdown are/would be completely different from pre-lockdown.

We watched Dr Who on catch-up and the (SPOILER) alternate Doctor was high-fiving people in the street and we were shrinking back, saying, 'Nooo! Stop touching people!'

[Off topic alert!]
May 2020
7:32pm, 16 May 2020
36,544 posts
  •  
LindsD
I would find that comforting :)

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Here's a house, here's a door. Windows: 1 2 3 4. Ready to knock? Turn the lock – It's Book Group!

Shall we see what window we're going to look through today?

Let's try the arched window. Ah, Brian Cant has got Big Ted in a headlock and he's screaming "Die! You furry bastard! Die!". Maybe not then.

Don't look through the round window, Jemima! It'll tell you the day you will die! No, don't do it Jemima. Too late.

Children, let's look through the square window instead. Oh look, it's Hamble and she's reading The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin.