The Immortalists - Book Group March 2020 discussion thread

8 watchers
Mar 2020
1:24pm, 19 Mar 2020
3,840 posts
  •  
westmoors
Reading back, I have to agree that Daniel was the least defined.
Mar 2020
1:26pm, 19 Mar 2020
44,042 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Are you the other '8' score Westmoors?

I'm wondering who gave it a 4. I'd be quite intrigued to hear their views.
Mar 2020
1:28pm, 19 Mar 2020
3,841 posts
  •  
westmoors
Yes, I gave it an 8.
Mar 2020
4:10pm, 22 Mar 2020
16,730 posts
  •  
Serendippily
You know what: I’m going to give this a ten. Not a milkman ten. Not even a Fathers and Sons ten. But a ten nonetheless because I read it from start to finish and liked the characters and forgave it some schmaltziness and being a chapter too predictable because it’s good to spend a day forgetting everything in the company of characters who all like each other. So it gets a ten for good feel good timing. In the full knowledge I’ll both forget it and it’s really an 8 :-) thanks choosinator that was a relaxing way to spend mother’s day
Mar 2020
4:12pm, 22 Mar 2020
16,731 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I am in a much better mood than you lot reading back. Yes it’s all true. But I’ve had a really relaxing day
Mar 2020
4:43pm, 22 Mar 2020
34,415 posts
  •  
LindsD
I thought about ten, I really did, but I didn't because of Daniel. But I applaud your decision :)
Mar 2020
11:11pm, 22 Mar 2020
503 posts
  •  
Peregrinator
The Immortalists

My Grandmother once told me that as a young woman growing up near Yeovil, she and a friend had their fortunes told. The fortune teller told my grandmother that she would marry a man she already knew. But when it came to her friend, the fortune teller said she was unable to read her palm as everything was very muddled. Which impressed my Grandmother as she did go on to marry someone she'd met; but her friend died young, which my Grandmother said was what the fortune teller had seen, but not wanted to say.

The Immortalists does do what it says on the cover: if you knew when you were to die, how would you live your life?

In Blade Runner Tyrell says "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long", which seems to be Chloe Benjamin's view of life. In an appendix she describes creating the four main characters, and it does feel like they are carefully placed along an axis of Light/Dark Short-lived/Long-lived, to illustrate the point that only a dazzling life following our passions is worthwhile. Anything less is a failure. So Simon dances brightly and dies young, through Klara and Daniel to Varya who restricts her life and lives an eternity in gloom and self-denial. And the FBI man Eddie appears when required as a Deus ex Machina to link things together. Which plotting could have produced a not very interesting book, but actually this structure is part of the book's drive and vitality. I was keen to get back to reading it.

Problem is, I don't accept this dichotomy. I'd say a long life of humanity and understanding and humour was an admirable achievement. There are 90 years olds who are still passionate about what's happening in the world. Some people who follow their passions seem to me to be self-centred narcissists that the world could well do without.

This came across as a researched book, rather than a felt book. The research into magic, longevity, 1980's, even elements like Jewish culture and family life, seemed to sit outside the characters in the story, rather than flow from them. My grandmother was a Victorian (born in 1892), and I'm not sure what she would have made of a book about the gay scene and drugs in 1980's San Francisco. I, of course, have a wider view: thanks to St Aubyn's "Bad News", I know what to do with Quaaludes. But I probably don't need some of the biological details she gives. Top running tip: "Anyone can run. Baryshnikov, Nureyev - you look at those guys, they don't run. They fly". Must try flying next training session.

So overall - a lot of "Well this is heading for a car crash", some "Yeah - but..." and maybe a bit of "Tell me more about...", and "Tell me less about...". But a very good read.
Mar 2020
5:38am, 23 Mar 2020
34,428 posts
  •  
LindsD
*stands and applauds*
Mar 2020
5:49am, 23 Mar 2020
34,429 posts
  •  
LindsD
*stands and applauds*
Mar 2020
7:29am, 23 Mar 2020
16,749 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Oo twice Linds :-) I don’t care I still enjoyed it

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Here's a house, here's a door. Windows: 1 2 3 4. Ready to knock? Turn the lock – It's Book Group!

Shall we see what window we're going to look through today?

Let's try the arched window. Ah, Brian Cant has got Big Ted in a headlock and he's screaming "Die! You furry bastard! Die!". Maybe not then.

Don't look through the round window, Jemima! It'll tell you the day you will die! No, don't do it Jemima. Too late.

Children, let's look through the square window instead. Oh look, it's Hamble and she's reading The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin.