The high training, self indulgent, weight loss for performance thread

150 watchers
May 2017
4:33pm, 17 May 2017
1,383 posts
  •  
cackleberry
The_Saint - I should have added- I have inadvertently just about halved my carb intake by making the bulk of my food fruit n veg *Instead of all the crap I normally eat*

Sharkie - If I eat much less I start to bonk. Full ultra training mode sees me consuming around 3000cals a day and sometimes still loosing!

HappyG(rrr) - Yes, when I'm training hard I am not in the house long enough to eat much!

My metabolism seems to be on overdrive, but now I am a little older I have noticed my weight creeping (and I really do mean creeping) up and jiggly bits appearing.
I'd rather be able to control it now than struggle later.
It doesn't help that my new job involves a lot of time at a desk, on the few times I have remembered to wear my pedometer I have recorded a pathetic amount of steps! I might catch that sitting down disease... *runs away from Velociraptor*
May 2017
4:34pm, 17 May 2017
36,207 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Cackleberry, I'm afraid my experience is that if I try to skimp on calories the only thing that stops me feeling distractingly hungry is falling face first into the fridge :(
May 2017
9:03pm, 17 May 2017
1,384 posts
  •  
cackleberry
I thought by eating different things, not less things, I would be less hungry.

However, after my earlier whining, I may have had a break through... When I got home from work I had some nuts and a banana. I was worried about going for a run as I felt like I might pass out. Then when I ran, the nuts weren't so good!!
At the time I was thinking 'F*ck this, I'm having pasta for tea.'

Now I am back, I watched the pan of water boil and decided, actually, I'm not hungry after all. So, I had a bit of smoked salmon (which I was going to have with my pasta) and that's all.

My head still feels fuzzy, but I'm not hungry.
My stats are-

2142 calories
127g fat (those nuts!)
80g protein
85g sugar- still quite high but I have had lots of fruit.
174g carbs, which is low for me, usually 250-300g without any problem.

Maybe I'll give it a few more days before I ring Domino's and tell them I am sorry...
May 2017
9:16pm, 17 May 2017
12,360 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
As I run slow and nearly all my training runs are before eating or drinking I don't need to eat much.
May 2017
9:20pm, 17 May 2017
12,361 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
Sharkie, I had a dexo scan and coupled with a metabolism test the results were that I need 1,900 calories just to survive. And during the test period of five days I averaged burning over 4,000 calories a day. Calculated by results of heat rate, gps and movement devices.
May 2017
9:20pm, 17 May 2017
12,362 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
Or even heart rate.
May 2017
10:06pm, 17 May 2017
7,341 posts
  •  
LouLou
So kept my calories under 1000 today - my trainer suggested 700 but to be honest I felt fuzzy headed on my run and given I've covered 27k of steps today I think 700 would have been cutting it too much. Ended up slowing the pace on my run - I know my slight light headedness was hunger related but given my recent history I kept heart rate low.

I think the calories I need on a daily basis are probably around or just less than 1500 - I base this on the fact that even exercising previously up to 70 miles/ week I would not see a loss of weight - I either over estimate what I burn off (probably did as I went with 100cals/mile roughly and think it would be less based on fitbit/garmin data) or I underestimate what I put in - tracking I helping that.
May 2017
10:31pm, 17 May 2017
1,385 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Crikey LouLou, I would say 1000cals is too low, for anybody.
Obviously you and your trainer know your body better, but do be careful.

I'll probably have my pasta tomorrow, as I have at least an hours run tomorrow, then a reasonably active weekend planned (10 mile run on Sat, same hiking on Sunday, both on hilly routes) but will try and keep it sensible and healthy...

I also need to do some cross-training of the weights/core variety, one of the guys was taking photo's at the Time Trial tonight- the photo's themselves are brill, but I can see where the extra weight is lying.
May 2017
10:33pm, 17 May 2017
1,386 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Fenland Runner - Where did you get those tests done? Sounds fascinating! I love physiology and having ones own results are even more intriguing.
May 2017
11:01pm, 17 May 2017
11,516 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I'm similar to Lou -we have very efficient metabolisms I think. Unfortunately!

Raffo, my partner, effortlessly stays race weight. He's 6ft tall and weighs about 10.5 stone. He's a sprinter rather than a distance runner - but he looks like a miler. Git!

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
A continuation of another thread that has died and never really fulfilled its original purpose.
Link to Stillman Calculator by Sprouty:
dl.dropbox.com

Link to Weight and Performance Calculator:
runningforfitness.org

Top Tips in order:
1. Run more miles
2. Cross train
3. Start cutting out stuff