The Great Glen Ultra 2014

9 watchers
Nov 2013
7:13pm, 12 Nov 2013
1,088 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Now real common sense would have been finishing at the Clachnaharry Inn rather than a windswept running track ;-).

But I'm still tempted.
Nov 2013
11:01am, 13 Nov 2013
149 posts
  •  
mikey_a
Have you done any of our races before? We often give beer in the goody bag and will be headed for the pub as soon as we can!

Just had it confirmed that next year's race will also be a 3 pointer for UTMB in 2015.
Nov 2013
7:07pm, 13 Nov 2013
51 posts
  •  
The Bogman
Mikey...it just keeps getting better!
Nov 2013
8:58pm, 13 Nov 2013
1,091 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Not done one before Mikey, but I like the sound of the beer!

It's a long jog from the track to the Castle Tavern (closest good boozer) though!
Jun 2014
10:18am, 27 Jun 2014
847 posts
  •  
RedWineRunner
1 week to go then folks! How are we doing? Everyone excited?

I am doing ok I think but a bit nervous about the 1am start. I was just telling my parents my plans for the weekend and where we were staying after (Bught Caravan Park in the motorhome) and he asked where I was sleeping on Friday night. Sleep? Pah! I'll sleep when I'm dead! Or Finished! Whichever comes first...
Jun 2014
10:27am, 27 Jun 2014
70,523 posts
  •  
santababy
why you nervous about that start? just the losing sleep thing?
Jun 2014
11:27am, 27 Jun 2014
848 posts
  •  
RedWineRunner
It's a somewhat different time to when I would normally go out and run a race SB. I'm sure once you've done it a couple of times at the WHW it seems straight forward enough, but for a first-timer, casually staying up all night whilst bashing out 72 or 73 (do we even know how much?!) miles over 20+ hours is a bit intimidating. I have no idea how my body/head is going to respond to that.

I don't deal with sleep loss very well at the best of times so that's a concern. Timing for fueling and what to fuel with are other concerns, as is when I will get to take a decent pre-race dump!
I guess the best bet is to just shut up and get on with it.
Jul 2014
12:16pm, 7 Jul 2014
152 posts
  •  
mikey_a
Forgot we even had a topic on here, oops!

Hope everyone had a good weekend at the race. From an organiser's point of view it seemed to go really well and we had great feedback at the end as well as on Facebook over the last day or so which really does make it all worthwhile. We had 86 starters which we're delighted with given it was our first year and I think everyone who completed it found it tough enough that they felt their whisky glass had been well earned.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Well, Bill and I have been talking about putting a race on along the Great Glen since before we orga...