The Graveyard Book - May 2020 Book Group discussion thread

13 watchers
Apr 2020
4:15pm, 27 Apr 2020
44,916 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Books. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the Book Group Fetchterprise, its continuing mission to explore strange new books. To seek out new writers or even Dan Brown. To boldly read where no-one has read before!

OOOooo oooooo oooOOOo oooooo
Apr 2020
4:16pm, 27 Apr 2020
44,917 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Or read and review The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. That's another thing you could do.
Apr 2020
7:19am, 29 Apr 2020
119,582 posts
  •  
GregP
I've started The Gravy Book. First time I've got even that far since TDIR.
Apr 2020
7:22am, 29 Apr 2020
44,933 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Well, if you like it, I hope you're going to say something condimentary about it
Apr 2020
7:42am, 29 Apr 2020
34,716 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, one I've read! Lovd all Neil Gaiman. :-) G
May 2020
6:28pm, 4 May 2020
45,085 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Well.... I loved this.

First off some possible criticisms:
- it is very episodic. Each chapter, Bod grows a little bit older and falls foul of some new menace.
- a bit short on the female characters, perhaps.
- a little derivative in parts. Miss Lupescu is straight out of Harry Potter's Prof Lupin.

However, i wave my bottom at those criticisms because:
- it romps along and is generally a lot of fun.
- despite borrowings like the Lupe-thing above, the concept itself felt surprisingly original, to the extent of 'why has no-one done this before?'
- the writing style is deceptively light but when he needs to be a bit deeper, Gaiman does it unselfconsciously.
- Bod's character and story arc felt natural and not forced by him having to take the thribity-bong of the boffle-elves to the bongity-thrib of the etc etc.
- Speaking of which, although he has mentors such as Silas to get him out of trouble, the book doesn't use them as a deus ex machina to save the day every time. Bod has to save himself just as much, or to learn from the situation at least.
- It shows where possible rather than tells. For example, it'll be fairly obvious to the (adult) reader but a certain V-word is never used in relation to Silas. We're left to work it out for ourselves.

I've scored it 9/10 and as first finisher, I get to fight the end-boss (Dan Brown) to claim all the chaos emeralds.
May 2020
8:45am, 5 May 2020
4,880 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Glad you enjoyed it McGoo. Bang on with the writing style. There's a line from the Grey lady that is so simple, yet heartbreakingly on point.
The episodic nature may be due to the fact that it is in part inspired by the Jungle Book.
May 2020
8:52am, 5 May 2020
45,096 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Yes, true. When I read that bit in the Afterword, the penny dropped...
May 2020
9:16pm, 5 May 2020
33,701 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Thank you Scribbler for picking a book I wouldn't have read although I do have another of his as have been intrigued by him

I started it but wasn't sure it was my thing but the more I read the more I loved it, had so many questions, but they were answered. But also curious as to what happened to Bod afterwards. But I guess I have my imagination. Not all books need a sequel

I am happy also scored it a 9

Also 2nd book I've managed to read during covid reading slump.

Now what's next
May 2020
7:18am, 8 May 2020
119,792 posts
  •  
GregP
I shall give it a ten now.

I shall read back later, and try and post my own thoughts.

Once I’ve stopped crying.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Neil Cayman's The Gravy Boat