The fat-tyre thread

2 lurkers | 61 watchers
Jul 2021
3:29pm, 26 Jul 2021
35,256 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
The LBS was Evans Cycles. I've You Tubed and had a fiddle, and it seems to be ok just riding up and down my road. I'll give it a longer ride tomorrow or Wednesday to check it.
Jul 2021
6:48pm, 26 Jul 2021
19,205 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
Just had a stupid amount of fun checking out lines for the 24 12 course and then riding the Nats course. Never ridden at Newnham and there is so much stuff here and so much stuff that has been here. There is going to be an article about some of the history of the place in the next Cranked mag, and how it’s pretty much the only place in the UK that has had racing all the way through since XC started.
Jul 2021
6:53pm, 26 Jul 2021
76,832 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Sounds ace Steppie! Both the riding and the article...
Jul 2021
7:19pm, 26 Jul 2021
9,659 posts
  •  
cathrobinson
Newnham is fab. Nic had a very big, race-ending, crash there - on a fast stretch of fireroad, of all places! Destroyed her mech hanger and snapped a brake lever, if I recall correctly.
Jul 2021
7:32pm, 26 Jul 2021
5,575 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
Hope I get a mention of trying to help Gary Foord by holding his bike when he had a puncture and he bollocked me for trying to get him dq,d for outside help lol.

This was the World Cup iirc when Michael Rasmussen had a 10 sec lead at the top of thefirst climb barely 2 minutes into the event. Who knew that EPO had appeared in mtb racing so early, allegedly.

Johnny Tomac tailwhipping all the bombshells, I was so shocked I forgot to press the shutter button but I can still fetch the image to the front of the mind nearly 30 years on.

Chatting to a rider up on the Moor while watching the ladies race and never realising until he rode away that it was Thomas Frischkneckt, felt a bit stupid that I had not recognised him but he was such a nice guy to talk to.

Laughing at the sport riders dropping down pipeline and hitting the tree at the bottom and then doing the same on a pre ride myself realising that momentum and gravity sent you there unless you rode down as far left as you could. At then 30 something you bounce far less well than the 20 somethings, now mid 60s I would walk down even with full bounce and discs. Rigid or front suspension with calipers or v brakes seem like centuries ago.

My favourite course even though Margam Park is closer and I had ridden it far more.

Oh and I was totally crap at mtb riding anywhere of course.
Jul 2021
7:37pm, 26 Jul 2021
5,576 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
What the hell was Wiggo doing interviews at the Olympic mtb for Eurosport!
Just watched the eurosport coverage again, Gilmore and the Saffy guy knew nothing about mtb racing it seems to me.. Had missed some of the inanity of their commentary first time around but on second listening it was dire. Hope we get better tomorrow but I doubt it
Jul 2021
8:38pm, 26 Jul 2021
9,660 posts
  •  
cathrobinson
Lol. Good to know Gary hasn’t changed too much over the years - although he is a bit mellower now.
Jul 2021
9:06pm, 26 Jul 2021
4,868 posts
  •  
quimby
Gary's mum was my tutor in high school.
Jul 2021
9:48pm, 26 Jul 2021
19,206 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
Awesome stories, Dai. The pipeline has featured in many of the tales including the World Cup where a young Nick Craig blew his doors off to lead the race down the pipeline. He didn’t finish high up but everyone remembers that moment.
Jul 2021
8:02am, 27 Jul 2021
35,362 posts
  •  
halfpint
Catching up with women’s MTB. Is it different course to men’s? If so why? Also is it normal to have an unrideable section?

About This Thread

Maintained by cathrobinson
Since the last appearance of Kaph, some time ago... there are now three wheel sizes, and now new plus (+) tyres for the even more adventurous!

26 / 27.5 (650b) / 29 / 27.5+ (650b+) / 29+ / fat
whatever you ride, enjoy it :)

Gravel also welcome :)

Also, is 26 dead yet?