•  
Northern Exile
Oops, sorry - I didn't realise. It's called "Ever Had a Dream"
Nov 2020
10:46am, 7 Nov 2020
7,002 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Here's the link again. There's an odd story attached to this track, it came to prominence via an obscure Italian CD called "Living for the Weekend" (seems there is a robust rare soul scene in Italy) and then there was a bit of a frantic scramble by all the Motown experts to discover where it came from. It was the flipside to a US-only Tamla release of Smoky's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky463-wpz5U
Nov 2020
10:52am, 7 Nov 2020
7,003 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Talking of CDs, does anyone know what the "rarest" northern soul CD is? Well, there are three worth speaking of. The first is number 6 in the Goldmine series entitled "Ultimate Girl Groups" (withdrawn for copyright infringement), then Goldmine 079 "Soul Survivors" (withdrawn due to legal action over title and renamed "Wigan Forever") then Soultime Vol I, a Sony/Columbia CD that had a very limited release.

I only mention it because I have all 200 Goldmine CDs including all the misprints, repeats and oddities, one of the few people in the UK to have them so I know what I'm looking for. Seeing as most of them are over 25 years old, they are selling well to a new soulful generation and overseas too, even though a lot of Goldmine CDs are terrible quality. I was looking on Music Magpie the other day and found a copy of "Girl Groups" going for peanuts, so now have two mint copies! Probably worth over £100 to a collector, I've chucked it on eBay to see what happens :-)
Nov 2020
12:43pm, 15 Nov 2020
28,270 posts
  •  
macca 53
Who knew? From Desert Islands Discs....

Starmer selected northern soul classic Out on the Floor by Dobie Gray as one of his tracks. “I love northern soul,”
Nov 2020
12:49pm, 15 Nov 2020
69,831 posts
  •  
swittle
He did! ^ Equally surprising was his choice of Orange Juice's 'Falling And Laughing'.
Nov 2020
12:57pm, 15 Nov 2020
28,271 posts
  •  
macca 53
....and Stormzy....
Nov 2020
12:58pm, 15 Nov 2020
69,833 posts
  •  
swittle
Yep! :)
Nov 2020
5:54pm, 15 Nov 2020
7,031 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
That is a bit of a surprise :-) But then, "Out on the Floor" really is a good record - it's only the fact it's been played to death and is possibly the one NS record that every knows that makes it a bit of a cliche. None other than Tim Ashibende (one of the really good and highly respected NS pundits) rated it as his all-time favourite.
Nov 2020
7:16pm, 15 Nov 2020
69,851 posts
  •  
swittle
Interesting: can a tune become so popular that it loses some of its popularity?
Nov 2020
7:25pm, 15 Nov 2020
7,032 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I think in those circumstances a record can be taken for granted, sure.

About This Thread

Maintained by Northern Exile
I thought I might indulge of my "other" passion for your entertainment :-)

Feel free to post, but please do try and keep it soulful. No funk or ska please! I maintain an off-line list of all the tracks posted, if you would like a copy please feel free to fmail me.