The Environment Thread :-)

59 watchers
Sep 2021
5:03pm, 24 Sep 2021
2,625 posts
  •  
JRitchie
You certainly notice more solar in the corner of fields during train journeys.

In addition we are seeing heavier industries collaborating to get into renewable supplies for their fuel. Attached link to Scottish distilleries as a catalyst for green hydrogen project.

shfca.org.uk
Sep 2021
5:05pm, 24 Sep 2021
5,267 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Sorry - I might have asked this before. I'm confused by storage capabilities being quoted in MW rather than MWh. What do they mean by a 57MW storage facility?
Sep 2021
5:05pm, 24 Sep 2021
2,626 posts
  •  
JRitchie
And this —- google.com
Sep 2021
5:08pm, 24 Sep 2021
5,268 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
There are at least 5 solar farms within a 4 mile radius of where we live, and a planning application for another
Sep 2021
5:09pm, 24 Sep 2021
79,798 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Not much solar here and most domestic wind installations get refused by planning...
Sep 2021
5:09pm, 24 Sep 2021
2,627 posts
  •  
JRitchie
Thornton is MW the storage of volume (power) and mw/h effectively the speed of discharge (capacity).
Sep 2021
5:10pm, 24 Sep 2021
79,799 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I have friends who have hydro, two valleys from here, it is amazing! But... You need a lot of fall, which they have and I don't...
Sep 2021
5:11pm, 24 Sep 2021
5,269 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Storage surely is MJ, and speed of discharge MW? W=J/s
Sep 2021
5:16pm, 24 Sep 2021
5,270 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I would have expected to see it expressed as storage capacity of x MWh that can be supplied at a rate of y MW
Sep 2021
5:58pm, 24 Sep 2021
15,424 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
TR you are correct, but the vernacular, particularly in the media all talk about *peak* power output, not storage capacity.

This is a hangover from central load thermal power plants (e.g. coal, gas, nuclear) for which, usually, the MW and MWh meant more or less the same thing.

As we move to *intermittent* or *variable* source energy providers, then the distinction between power and capacity is critical - the media hasn't caught up yet.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hi
I've seen environment (whether emissions, power, climate change, access to countryside, whatever you think of as "environment") discussed in various threads: Politics (obviously), the Electric Car thread fetcheveryone.com/forum/electric-car-anyone-61481/ , run free's excellent "Competitive Running and Keeping The Environment Clean" fetcheveryone.com/forum/running-competitively-keeping-our-environment-clean-60907/ my own Greta Thunberg thread fetcheveryone.com/forum/greta-thunberg---jfk-for-the-climate-generation-61044/ etc. but I haven't seen a general one.

So here it is. For those interested in the science, the politics, the action for (and I'll state that for me, this is mostly pro-environment, anti-emissions, anti-pollution etc.) and the hope for the future of our planet.

Useful links posted by contributors:
rf_fozzy: This is quite a good article about how disruptive technology works too: lesswrong.com
Basically about why Kodak completely missed the boat when it came to digital cameras timkastelle.org
run free's Grand Designs example Ben Laws is a man who built his dream: granddesignsmagazine.com granddesignsmagazine.com
Carbon Commentary carboncommentary.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.