The Environment Thread :-)

59 watchers
Sep 2022
1:25pm, 11 Sep 2022
18,301 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Of course, the US has a lot of headroom to see such steep drops, because their ceiling was ridiculously high - they're still 3x the UK per capita emissions

data.worldbank.org
Sep 2022
10:44pm, 12 Sep 2022
5,186 posts
  •  
run free
Just seen the comments in the political thread on energy but that thread goes so fast, so gonna comment on it here.....Since 2019, the Clean Energy Job Sector has overall overtaken Fossil Fuels Job Sector worldwide! New energy projects are the major driver of employment, with around 65% of energy workers employed to build and deploy new solar plants, wellheads, heat pumps, cars, and more. You can read the full report here: iea.org
Sep 2022
10:56pm, 12 Sep 2022
19,138 posts
  •  
3M (aka MarkyMarkMark)
Harking back a bit to the issues of human population and the impact on the wider ecology of the planet, I found this earlier on.
bbc.com
Fairly well balanced and some interesting questions raised.
Sep 2022
7:45am, 13 Sep 2022
43,817 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks run free. Interesting stat. And encouraging. :-) G
Sep 2022
6:14pm, 13 Sep 2022
3,375 posts
  •  
JRitchie
Thanks RF. my employer runs a green jobs barometer for the UK. My local perception is that there are a huge amount of job opportunities in the green sector but our European neighbours are ahead of us. A lot of service sector for wind development comes from North Sea neighbours.

pwc.co.uk
Sep 2022
9:37am, 20 Sep 2022
43,913 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Just getting our solar panels, battery and inverter installed today and tomorrow (and poss into Thursday!) Scary building work, but hopefully worth it. :-) G
Sep 2022
3:24pm, 20 Sep 2022
92,889 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Definitely worth it Happy!

Update on my Passiv building:
It gets to about 21 degrees during the day, with only a modicum of sun to no sun. I close the blinds when it starts going dark. Next morning I pull them up. Temperatures drops to 18 and it feels dry, warm and very comfy.
The chapel with its solid stone walls is cold and damp. It doesn't really warm up more than half a degree and every night the temperature drops by a degree. Tonight it will be 15, one degree off the central heating kicking in 😱 which I have been holding off. I normally don't get to this stage until the 3rd week of October! Autumn seems to have come a month early...
I have started clearing the tomatoes in the greenhouse and this weekend I will be moving my tender plants in. Also a month early but we have had night frosts already 😱
Sep 2022
11:45am, 23 Sep 2022
43,974 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Omgosh, geeking out on Solar stats! 13.9 kWh generated so far and it hasn't been on for 24 hours yet! Given that our usual consumption is 12 kWh a day (not including car charging), we're a net exporter, already! :-) G
Sep 2022
12:17pm, 23 Sep 2022
5,389 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
What's the feed in tariff rate per unit now for new contracts ? I thought I'd heard it was pretty negligible now ( or maybe just quite a bit less than it used to be ).
Sep 2022
2:52pm, 23 Sep 2022
43,979 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ah, well now Gus, there is no FIT any more. It's now called Smart Export Guarantee. And yes, it's pretty tiny 4p/kWh. But depends on you electricity supplier, there are other, export tariffs. Octopus who I'm with do two, a fixed and an agile one. The Fixed is 15p / kWh and the Agile is variable every half hour. Right now (this half hour) it is

At 12:08 PM Fri 23/09/2022 the Octopus Outgoing Agile price is 24.30p/kWh.

So my 20kWh that I have generated today (only 10kWh has been exported, cos I was charging battery most of morning) would be £5. Won't do that every day, but you can see how over 365 days that can be valuable.

:-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hi
I've seen environment (whether emissions, power, climate change, access to countryside, whatever you think of as "environment") discussed in various threads: Politics (obviously), the Electric Car thread fetcheveryone.com/forum/electric-car-anyone-61481/ , run free's excellent "Competitive Running and Keeping The Environment Clean" fetcheveryone.com/forum/running-competitively-keeping-our-environment-clean-60907/ my own Greta Thunberg thread fetcheveryone.com/forum/greta-thunberg---jfk-for-the-climate-generation-61044/ etc. but I haven't seen a general one.

So here it is. For those interested in the science, the politics, the action for (and I'll state that for me, this is mostly pro-environment, anti-emissions, anti-pollution etc.) and the hope for the future of our planet.

Useful links posted by contributors:
rf_fozzy: This is quite a good article about how disruptive technology works too: lesswrong.com
Basically about why Kodak completely missed the boat when it came to digital cameras timkastelle.org
run free's Grand Designs example Ben Laws is a man who built his dream: granddesignsmagazine.com granddesignsmagazine.com
Carbon Commentary carboncommentary.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.