The Environment Thread :-)

59 watchers
Sep 2022
11:26am, 9 Sep 2022
19,527 posts
  •  
Chrisull
See my comments in politics section. Backed up with bloomberg.com article, but there's many other places. Guardian.

theguardian.com
Sep 2022
11:29am, 9 Sep 2022
19,528 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Looking at Unherd's journalist list, plenty of Guardian journos on there (and some more right wing ones). So is the Guardian also not meeting fozzy's gold standard? Or rather there is NO SUCH THING as a gold standard, just varying degrees of grey.
Sep 2022
11:32am, 9 Sep 2022
1,292 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
mediabiasfactcheck.com

This tallies with my experience of UnHerd. It's not somewhere I read many articles, and some of their most viral pieces have been towards the less factual/controversial/misinfo end of the spectrum. But I wouldn't dismiss anything on there blindly, there will be some articles/opinions which have merit
Sep 2022
11:42am, 9 Sep 2022
18,280 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
They spout a lot of misinformation, poorly researched articles and publish any crap. From both ends of the spectrum.

Not a reliable source.
Sep 2022
11:43am, 9 Sep 2022
18,281 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
This should raise warning flags: "Unherd Ventures Limited, a private company owned by Sir Paul Marshall, owns and publishes the website. Sir Paul Marshall is the Chairman of Marshall Wace LLP, a prominent hedge fund group. Marshall is also an investor in the Right-leaning TV News station GB News. Further, he was a major donor in support of Brexit."
Sep 2022
11:57am, 9 Sep 2022
1,293 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Yes I did see that. But UnHerd isn't chock full of rubbish, it just publishes a wide range of opinions and in there will be some that you and I disagree strongly with.

I can certainly remember some dubious pieces about lockdowns during the first years of the pandemic.

The piece Chrisull has posted today doesn't seem mildly controversial
Sep 2022
12:03pm, 9 Sep 2022
1,294 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
I'd say UnHerd was a big platform for Covid deniers/antivaxxers/anti maskers/natural immunity nonsense peddlers, eg:

unherd.com
Sep 2022
12:04pm, 9 Sep 2022
18,284 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
When they post a lot of crap, how can you be certain about the stuff that you think isn't?

I'm not necessarily challenging the article that Chris posted, nor the point he is trying to make. I'm pointing out that Unherd is an unreliable source. For precisely the reason you point out.

And remember *opinion* is =/= well sourced, referenced article with data.

Best publication in the UK for this. FT. Hands down.
Sep 2022
12:13pm, 9 Sep 2022
1,295 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
I agree the FT is generally excellent and UnHerd is at best a mixed bag.
Sep 2022
1:23pm, 11 Sep 2022
18,298 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Trump's legacy on the Climate.

twitter.com

Reminder Wind and Solar are now so cheap, that short of outright bans (hello Tory party), FF are no longer the option.

Note this also why Nuclear isn't going to happen. SMR or large reactors.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hi
I've seen environment (whether emissions, power, climate change, access to countryside, whatever you think of as "environment") discussed in various threads: Politics (obviously), the Electric Car thread fetcheveryone.com/forum/electric-car-anyone-61481/ , run free's excellent "Competitive Running and Keeping The Environment Clean" fetcheveryone.com/forum/running-competitively-keeping-our-environment-clean-60907/ my own Greta Thunberg thread fetcheveryone.com/forum/greta-thunberg---jfk-for-the-climate-generation-61044/ etc. but I haven't seen a general one.

So here it is. For those interested in the science, the politics, the action for (and I'll state that for me, this is mostly pro-environment, anti-emissions, anti-pollution etc.) and the hope for the future of our planet.

Useful links posted by contributors:
rf_fozzy: This is quite a good article about how disruptive technology works too: lesswrong.com
Basically about why Kodak completely missed the boat when it came to digital cameras timkastelle.org
run free's Grand Designs example Ben Laws is a man who built his dream: granddesignsmagazine.com granddesignsmagazine.com
Carbon Commentary carboncommentary.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.