The Environment Thread :-)

59 watchers
jda
Sep 2021
6:01pm, 24 Sep 2021
10,846 posts
  •  
jda
I would assume someone has just garbled the units and they mean MWh. Unless they are specifically referring to the max rate of supply, which is potentially an important factor in the design too (though in practice I suspect rarely a serious constraint).
Sep 2021
7:32pm, 25 Sep 2021
39,806 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
This feels optimistic. Battery free computing...?

independent.co.uk

:-) G
jda
Sep 2021
7:49pm, 25 Sep 2021
10,848 posts
  •  
jda
My remote light switch (which I got due to very random wiring decisions by previous house owner) is battery free. Just takes a bit of a firm press to click on and off. Some piezoelectric device inside to generate the signal.
Sep 2021
1:01pm, 30 Sep 2021
15,444 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Unlikely Piezoelectric will generate enough current to charge a battery for a laptop, but yes, more things could use that technology.

I am surprised that things like remote control devices don't use piezoelectric switches. Maybe too expensive.
Sep 2021
1:06pm, 30 Sep 2021
15,445 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Anyway, I need to sort out cavity wall insulation. I thought I had it, but it turns out not.

Anything I need to know before tracking down suppliers?

I'm informed it's about £200 per wall (so ~£600 for my semi) - does this sound about right?

I've looked at the various govt schemes, but don't think I'm eligible for anything as there's no one living here on UC. Anyone know any better?
Sep 2021
1:50pm, 30 Sep 2021
18,509 posts
  •  
Chrisull
It's not as straightforward as all that, you need to make sure that a) you have decent ventilation - otherwise you will need to mitigate, b) that rodents don't have access - as they can/will destroy it and c) access so they can drill holes in from the outside. We fail on b) and c).
Sep 2021
1:54pm, 30 Sep 2021
15,446 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
(a). Yes plenty of airbrick in my walls
(b). No issues with rodents, except squirrels digging up my plants in the garden.
(c). No problem on 2 sides. Possible issue with conservatory. But there might be a way round that.
Sep 2021
2:03pm, 30 Sep 2021
18,511 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Sounds like a reasonable quote to me, and I'd concur you probably aren't eligible for any grants - as we had the Community Energy Organisation looking at it (and other things) for us.
Sep 2021
2:13pm, 30 Sep 2021
63,135 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I've always been inclined against insulating cavity walls and that's because the cavity is there for a reason - to stop the transmission of damp from the outer to the inner layer. Filling that gap can lead to increased condensation and internal damp, which is often already a problem when people start thinking they need to insulate.
Sep 2021
2:22pm, 30 Sep 2021
15,447 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Think in all liklihood it's better than not to do it, but full advantages/disadvantages here:
eco-home-essentials.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hi
I've seen environment (whether emissions, power, climate change, access to countryside, whatever you think of as "environment") discussed in various threads: Politics (obviously), the Electric Car thread fetcheveryone.com/forum/electric-car-anyone-61481/ , run free's excellent "Competitive Running and Keeping The Environment Clean" fetcheveryone.com/forum/running-competitively-keeping-our-environment-clean-60907/ my own Greta Thunberg thread fetcheveryone.com/forum/greta-thunberg---jfk-for-the-climate-generation-61044/ etc. but I haven't seen a general one.

So here it is. For those interested in the science, the politics, the action for (and I'll state that for me, this is mostly pro-environment, anti-emissions, anti-pollution etc.) and the hope for the future of our planet.

Useful links posted by contributors:
rf_fozzy: This is quite a good article about how disruptive technology works too: lesswrong.com
Basically about why Kodak completely missed the boat when it came to digital cameras timkastelle.org
run free's Grand Designs example Ben Laws is a man who built his dream: granddesignsmagazine.com granddesignsmagazine.com
Carbon Commentary carboncommentary.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.