The Dark Is Rising - Book Group discussion thread

12 watchers
Nov 2019
8:23am, 24 Nov 2019
42,257 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Join Rigsby, Miss Jones, Alan, Philip and cat Vienna in this hilarious new sitcom from Yorkshire Television, written by Eric Chappell and based on his stage play, The Banana Box. The Damp Is Rising is on Tuesdays at 7:30pm.

Alternatively you can talk about Susan Cooper's novel The Dark Is Rising instead.
Nov 2019
4:33pm, 27 Nov 2019
4,856 posts
  •  
Sweetie
OMG - just noticed this thread, can I please crash/join the book group?
I *loved* this book series when I were a lass, I knew the poem at the front by heart (I can still recite a disturbing amount of it now). I think it is still lurking on my bookshelves somewhere, I wonder how it will read now I'm all growed up?
Will it be like TV shows you loved when you were 10 and then watch again now to find they're *dreadful* ?
Nov 2019
5:39pm, 27 Nov 2019
42,297 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Sweetie, please join us on the main Book Group thread
fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=56655

We generally have a separate thread (such as this one) to talk about the book in question but you will find a wealth of fun and indeed games if you squint and peer hard enough on the 'main' thread. :-)
Dec 2019
5:04pm, 7 Dec 2019
3,655 posts
  •  
westmoors
Finished this this afternoon. Really enjoyed it, but then it probably falls into the genre I usually read.
Dec 2019
10:28am, 9 Dec 2019
42,444 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I may have made a slight mistake insisting (to myself) in reading Over Sea, Under Stone first. While I realise it's not to blame for similar things which have come after, it is the most generic 1960s children's book I've yet read. Quite poor really. It's sort of put me off TDIR a bit...
Dec 2019
9:57pm, 10 Dec 2019
18,869 posts
  •  
Columba
I'm giving up on this. And I nearly always finish books, once started. It is truly Not My Genre. It goes back to the library tomorrow, and I shall start something else.
Dec 2019
7:04am, 11 Dec 2019
3,659 posts
  •  
westmoors
Oh dear Columba. How far did you get with it?
Dec 2019
9:45am, 11 Dec 2019
1,140 posts
  •  
Love Sprouts
I've just finished the Dark Is Rising. It turns out I haven't read it before (I thought I'd read it as a child but that was Fake News). It's everything I enjoyed in books as a child - and since to be honest. I've downloaded the rest of the series on Kindle, and added it to the list of books I'll subject my niece to when she's old enough.

I appreciated the strong sense of place. It's a very English novel and I found it easy to picture the countryside in which it was set and the characters. There was a lot of myth and worldbuilding, but new information was introduced in such a way that it never felt overwhelming. The change in Will from confused and reluctant young boy to an Old One able to tap into ancient knowledge and power over the course of the story was very well portrayed. And there were horses, and time travelling, and ancient forces, and a battle between good and evil, and magic. And snow. What more could you ask?

Thank you for a good December selection :-)
Dec 2019
12:10pm, 11 Dec 2019
3,660 posts
  •  
westmoors
I'm glad I'm not alone in enjoying this.

Like you, LS, I found it easy to visualise the landscapes; possibly aided by the fact I grew up near a stretch of the Thames, although further downstream than in this book.

As I read the book, I kept thinking of the phrase "be careful what you wish for".
Dec 2019
10:03am, 12 Dec 2019
18,870 posts
  •  
Columba
I got about half way.

When I'm enjoying a book I feel I'm living with the characters even while I'm not reading it. With this, no. Never came alive for me. Not to worry; one can't like everything.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Join Rigsby, Miss Jones, Alan, Philip and cat Vienna in this hilarious new sitcom from Yorkshire Tel...