The Curve Running Machine / Treadmill

3 watchers
May 2014
7:01pm, 26 May 2014
3,733 posts
  •  
Kieren
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0-uzZ6LNnI

So my gym has got 4 of these and I gave it a go today. It's basically a slopped treadmill that you power yourself.

I'd be interested to know what others think, especially those with an eye for from as I don't believe the claims in the video.

Overall, I liked it and prefer it over the standard treadmill. I liked that it promoted knee lift and you can go as fast as your legs can take you.

I didn't like that it seems to make you over-stride and if you try and lean forward, it's easy to end up constantly accelerating.
May 2014
8:09pm, 26 May 2014
17,673 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I believe what he says, but I don't believe that it is any good for you.
'Get your knee up'' put your foot down further in front of you''hit the ground aggressively doesn't sound like the kind of thing I have been advised to do.

He does say that this is essentially a neuro-muscular technique training thing, and that its for sprinting, rather than endurance running, but even so, it doesn't look quite right to me.
May 2014
8:27pm, 26 May 2014
3,736 posts
  •  
Kieren
Yeah, that's what I thought.

I've been sprinting on them after squatting. I've only been on once but it feels like I'm forced to land infront of my center of gravity.

My form is not great but I try to be mindful of it and this does feel a bit wrong. However, to me it'd preferable over the leg pulling motion of an electric treadmill. The jury is out for me at the moment but I will continue using it until I feel I'm fit enough to do these at the track.
May 2014
12:29am, 28 May 2014
988 posts
  •  
Canute
This looks very interesting. I am not yet sure what to make of it but my first impression is that it is worth a second look.

It emphasizes features such as getting the knee up and forwards during the swing, which I think is good.

Landing in front of the COG is normal. The mantra ‘land under the cog’ is a popular myth among some style gurus, but it is actually impossible when running at constant speed.

I think it is unlikely that this treadmill will encourage over striding – in fact if you reach too far forward you would probably arrest the motion of the belt.

I suspect that it will encourage a powerful push down and back. This is potentially good if you want to run efficiently and fast.

However because of the emphasis on strong push it is might prove a bit risky for recreational runners lacking strength in the quads and posterior chain, or with poor balance, so I think one should start cautiously, doing only short periods until the required strength and balance are established.

But this is only a first impression - I would like to see videos of other runners - or even better, try one myself, before making a more confident judgement
Sep 2021
8:10am, 28 Sep 2021
28,193 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I tried this at the gym last night as all the normal mills were in use
definitely worked harder!
I liked the fact that the speed changed with me but it took me ages to get used to even walking!
I know I am slow but found I had to do short walk run intervals
Will be interesting to try again
anyone else used them?
Sep 2021
9:35am, 30 Sep 2021
39,011 posts
  •  
Nellers
No but I want to. These are the "standard" kit for running bits of Crossfit workouts and I've always been curious about how it would feel, because it looks weird!

I'm betting that the likes of Max and Earlybird will have tried them because they both do proper CrossFit whereas I just muck about in my shed at home.
Sep 2021
9:39am, 30 Sep 2021
28,250 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
apparently you use 30% more calories on this than on a normal one and I agree it is harder work
When they did the indoor Triathlon things during lockdown they used this
had a short walk yesterday and it was easier than the other day
I can see it being useful for intervals as it speeds up and slows down with you so you can go balls out (you can not me!) and then slow down straight away without having to wait for the belt to slow down or jump to the side!

It also has the plus that no one wants to use it so 99% of the time it's free!
Sep 2021
9:45am, 30 Sep 2021
39,013 posts
  •  
Nellers
The advantage for Crossfit is that it follows your speed so if you're doing something timed you complete the distance at your pace rather than what the treadmill speed is set at.

I'm not sure about the curved bed, though. I'm told it's meant to keep you on the forefoot and feels like constantly running uphill.

I would think that makes it hard on the achilles if that's the case but I don't see much talk of injuries caused by that, although that's maybe because CrossFitters tend not to run as much as runners.
Sep 2021
9:49am, 30 Sep 2021
28,253 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
if you move towards the front of the belt it goes faster and the further back it slows
but the middle bit is like a pavement so more consistent
and you don't need to move much just a fraction to gain speed so the slope isn't much

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0-uzZ6LNnI

So my gym has got 4 of these and I gave it a go today...