2 lurkers | 280 watchers
27 contributors in last 30 days
WA
Dec 2022
9:33am, 7 Dec 2022
10,453 posts
  •  
WA
I'm in today. No Christmas dos, unless you count the samba one. Felt tempted to drink last night for the first time in ages- staying with my sister and we'd always drink the night away together. It's the first time I've stayed with her since I quit and it suddenly felt like the right thing to do. It wasn't and I didn't but I was quite shocked how strong the initial urge was.
Dec 2022
9:41am, 7 Dec 2022
2,351 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
I wish lunches, as opposed to evening dos, were more common. They'd be less disruptive and inconvenient. The last couple of places I have worked had daytime dos that fulfilled their social function well, and avoided some of the negatives.
Dec 2022
9:46am, 7 Dec 2022
3,695 posts
  •  
GeneHunt59
I'm in. A couple of Xmas dos. One Friday morning, which is an AF do anyway, and like Looby Loo, one in a brewery.
Dec 2022
9:59am, 7 Dec 2022
44,959 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I was out until 23.00 in pub last night. But home at 23.30 after giving a pal a lift home. The joys of driving!

Daytime drinking events can get even messier than night time events in my experience Steve!

If it's the right bunch of people that I actually like talking to, I'm quite happy to spend several hours with them. I prefer it when there is food too, but not essential. I had to buy biscuits from an all night Tesco last night on way home because I was starving! I thought we were eating, but the pub we ended up in only had crisps! :-) G
Dec 2022
10:07am, 7 Dec 2022
2,352 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
I suppose it's a culture difference. I live in a place where drinking during working hours (let alone driving) is just not done, even for a xmas do. A nice xmas lunch (paid for by the employer) over an extended break chatting with colleagues was actually a pleasure, where non-drinking didn't make one feel like a weirdo.
Dec 2022
10:13am, 7 Dec 2022
44,960 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
There's not really drinking in the office for Christmas lunches (though I've still seen bottles of wine for late afternoon / evening things in the office, which surprised me).

But events organised to start at lunch time or early afternoon, outside the office, include people booking hotels because they'll be "so blitzed they can't go home", so all day drinking.

It's good if that isn't the case in (? correct me) Sweden. I know the Norwegians do huge drinking events, but maybe that's evening only. :-) G
Dec 2022
10:24am, 7 Dec 2022
7,795 posts
  •  
Fields
Most of my career has been in regulated environments where drinking on duty would likely mean dismissal - and as an office based member of staff that includes me.
Dec 2022
11:18am, 7 Dec 2022
3,045 posts
  •  
Looby Loo
Well done WA that’s another milestone.
Dec 2022
11:26am, 7 Dec 2022
803 posts
  •  
Hibeedeb
Maybe only one christmas do for me, and that will be with a few friends with whom I would only ever have one or two drinks max anyway. Canadians aren’t big drinkers like us Scots, maybe because everyone drives everywhere due to lack of public transport outside big cities.

Another terrible night’s sleep where I woke every hour or so from 23..30 - usually I make it until at least 1 before I start waking. I’m working from home today so it’s fine.

I won’t drink today.
Dec 2022
11:15pm, 7 Dec 2022
2,359 posts
  •  
Nord SledRunner
Well, the day's already turned for me so I will report in. I'm hoping it will warm up a touch from the current -11 before my run in daylight hours. Any booze in the system would only make matters worse, so I won't even be thinking about that. A nice trail outing in winter sunshine with crisp new snow deserves full attention.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Looks as though this thread has become popular again, here in 2010 (it's now 2023, and it started in 2008, so I think "ever popular" might be more apt! :-) G ) :-) Good Luck everyone.

A recent plea for those struggling to "reach out" as they say in US of A!

"Anyone not feeling strong and confident, please shout out. Or fmail. Or any other comms that works. Don't drink alcohol when you don't want to, for lack of someone to talk to. Pick up the phone, not the bottle."

Some acronyms, in case people use them:
JFT - Just for today
ODAAT - One day at a time
KIS - Keep it simple
TBOGUA - The Benefits Of Giving Up Alcohol (the title of this thread!)

New feature: article/blog of the month (period may change randomly!) Swittle's wonderful 14,611 days blog: (see links below)

Linking Joopsy's 17 year blog too, cos it's awesome!

There is a GREAT article summarising some of the benefits, to save you having to trawl through the thread (includes links to helpful apps and other resources).

And a great list of Alternative Drinks started by the lovely LindsD:

Please add to these articles and make them as valuable as possible! Thanks! :-) G

And one from way back when...
Dirt Monkey's brilliant blog on TBOGUA too - go try this...

Rebel has recommended a couple of good books:
The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober: THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER
by Catherine Gray

The Alcohol Experiment: 30 Days to Take Control, Cut Down or Give Up For Good
by Annie Grace

A great response from a health professional in Ireland responding to a question from a Guardian reader about why the warnings on alcoholic drinks that are coming in:

theguardian.com

"Alcohol is responsible for at least 1,000 cancer cases every year in Ireland, with one in eight breast cancer cases arising from alcohol use. Even one to two drinks per day increases the risk of developing cancer, and that risk is the same whether those drinks are wine, spirits or beer. Unfortunately, there is a very low level of public awareness that alcohol has been classed as a Group 1 carcinogen, meaning it is carcinogenic to humans. That is why Ireland has passed legislation that provides for health information labels on alcohol products, including warnings about cancer, liver disease and the danger of drinking in pregnancy. It is unsurprising that the alcohol industry, which promotes its products with carefully crafted myths of good times for all, is objecting to the mandatory provision of facts (Anger brews in Italy over Ireland’s plans for alcohol health warnings, 12 January).
Dr Sheila Gilheany
CEO, Alcohol Action Ireland
"

And the all important fabulous services:
Alcoholics Anonymous
National Helpline (FREE) 0800 9177 650
help@aamail.org

Al Anon
020 7403 0888

medal medal Contact TBOGUA medal medal

We're adding in our own Fetch offer of one to one contact too, for anyone who doesn't want to post in the thread for whatever reason. Please feel free to fmail ANY of the names listed below.

- - - -
HappyG(rrr)
Oscar the grouch
mrs shanksi
Derby Tup
iaincr
Love Lettuce
DocM
LindsD
GeneHunt59
GregP star
Joopsy star

Note: we're none of us experts, but we're happy to listen, to answer any questions and to offer support if you think it would help you. Except star marked above. Who are experts! :-)

(Note II: at Christmas some names may change a bit, but I'm sure you can still find us to fmail!)

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.