The 5:2 diet

89 watchers
Apr 2016
9:12pm, 7 Apr 2016
5,693 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Well done Nick, 4lbs off for me this week, a good start me thinks :-)
Apr 2016
3:08pm, 15 Apr 2016
22 posts
  •  
Phily G
I've been watching this thread on and off for a while and I'm going to give this 5:2 thing a go, do you guys and gals find this improves your portion control on 'normal days' or do you find you don't have to think about it much?
Apr 2016
3:24pm, 15 Apr 2016
5,717 posts
  •  
bigleggy
When I first started (a couple of years ago now) I was shocked at how little I could eat and still survive. This translated in an increased awareness of portion size on normal days ....... for a while. Can't say it changed the size of the portions I eat for too long though.

I just ended up not thinking about it on the 5 days. However, I will say this. My weight loss stalled using this approach until I started making better choices on the 5 days.

Good luck....
May 2016
5:36pm, 2 May 2016
274 posts
  •  
idle_wilder
I'm definitely going to get back on this - warmed up with not eating until about noon today, and will do first fast day on Wed. Might not do full 2 days each week, but after the amount I've been eating and drinking this past week, coupled with busting my knee during last ceilidh dance at my wedding and no exercise because of this, I need to do something!
May 2016
11:58am, 24 May 2016
9,230 posts
  •  
Sharkie
In the interest of science... no, I'll re-phrase that:

In the interest of arresting my ever increasing Snack Habit I'm giving the 5:2 approach a whirl.

I need to re-educate myself that it's not necessary (and possibly not desirable) to eat something - however small - every hour on the hour. Not reeeeeeelly every hour on the hour but you get my drift.

I did the first 500 day on Sunday and it was interesting and successful.

I've decided to cook nice things - some of them new - for the tiny meals.
May 2016
8:30pm, 25 May 2016
9,231 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Second 500 day neeeeeerly over.
Not too difficult.
May 2016
7:16pm, 28 May 2016
6,006 posts
  •  
jiminy cricket
I've been following the gist of this approach since end January. Have lost over 16lbs in that time and waist measurement is 4" smaller. By gist, am meaning that my fasts have not been overly restricted (I don't best myself up if 600cals morfs to 800 or even 1200. What I have done though is to become aware of calorie count on all days of the week.

Myfitnesspal has been an essential tool and awareness of TDEE essential. Last 2lbs to target is proving difficult to cut ...

Good luck with each of your journeys ......
May 2016
9:04am, 31 May 2016
26,476 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
Like you Jiminy, I reckon it was more eating better on the 5 days that helped me lose weight rather than just the 2 days fasting.
Jan 2017
11:52pm, 11 Jan 2017
5,295 posts
  •  
kwala
Anyone else still following this, thinking of giving it a whirl and would be good to have someone to bounce ideas off (and probably to whinge about how hungry I am to!!)
Jan 2017
10:06am, 12 Jan 2017
5,296 posts
  •  
kwala
*bump*

About This Thread

Maintained by Spark
Anyone want to try it with me?

Info - m.bbc.co.uk

5 days of 'normal' eating and 2 days eating 600 calories (men), 500 calories (women).

Fast days are best not done on consecutive days, unless you have amazing willpower.

Helpful links-

pinterest.com

facebook.com