Sub-4hr marathon support and celebration thread

174 watchers
Jun 2021
2:17pm, 28 Jun 2021
8,370 posts
  •  
becca7
Well done on a sizeable PB, Richard. This will have been a good learning experience and I don't think the course is particularly an easy one for a fast time.
Jun 2021
7:43pm, 28 Jun 2021
2,939 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
It sounds like you need to utilise your watch and not rely so much on the markers too. I haven't used anything in a marathon except water and isotonic drink for my last two but we're all different. During my first I ate jelly babies for fuelling.
Congratulations on your 11 minutes PB.
Jun 2021
10:10pm, 28 Jun 2021
978 posts
  •  
Big_G
I understand it was humid there too, Richard? Even if the temperature was reasonable, humidity can cause problems.
Jun 2021
6:56am, 29 Jun 2021
3,186 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
Yup, agreed. I really struggle in humidity
Jun 2021
7:04am, 29 Jun 2021
53,228 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Decent time, considering, the Other Richard. Well done. You know what you have to do next time.
Jun 2021
9:29am, 29 Jun 2021
137 posts
  •  
theOtherRichard
Thanks all.
I don't think I'm done yet. Depending on what happens to events this autumn, maybe I'll have another bash. If not, there's always next year!

[And if, in the meantime, "The Science" could hurry up and get a definitive answer on what causes cramp, that'd be nice too. ;-) ]
Jun 2021
9:43am, 29 Jun 2021
3,191 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
You have a huge base to train off now, so an autumn marathon would be ideal!!

As far as cramp goes, I used to get it all the time. I think the answer (sadly) is more miles... but it has also been, make sure you have a packet of salty crisps the night before... OR if you do get it, or think you are in danger, (assuming they reinstate them) grab a sponge from the bucket and squeeze it onto the affected area - calfs for me - and this magically releases it for a period. You might have to literally rinse and repeat if you have a way to go but it *does* work to release the muscle spasm.
Jun 2021
10:02am, 29 Jun 2021
979 posts
  •  
Big_G
Training through the summer/heat/humidity can be better in some ways, as when the Autumn race comes around it can feel like nicer/cooler race conditions in comparison to the training conditions. If training for a Spring marathon through the cold/winter, it can be a shock if it's hot on race day. So, having a bash for Autumn is a great idea :D
Jun 2021
10:41am, 29 Jun 2021
15,589 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
re Cramp - for me it's when I reduce my mileage too quickly, I start to get random cramps when I'm *not* running - which leaves me with sore, bruised feeling muscles (usually calf) the following day!

I'm a fan of enough salt in the diet to ensure the balance is about right - and if that means eating salty crisps or nuts, even during (or on the day of) the run you'll find me happily munching! (Hard to overdo it assuming you have functioning kidneys, I feel. ;-) )
Jun 2021
12:13pm, 29 Jun 2021
2,945 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
Drink plenty of water in the preceeding two or three days for hydration and it's never too early in a marathon to start sipping water either. I always have at least one pasta meal on each of the three days before a marathon too, carb loading.

About This Thread

Maintained by Velociraptor
A planning, discussion and support thread for Fetchies with a target of under 4 hours for the marathon.

FUTURE TARGETS
21st April: UltraDunc - Blackpool, sub-4
28th April: Oscar the Grouch - Newport, sub-4.
5th May: Velociraptor - Belfast, sub-4:15.
1st December: Velociraptor - Valencia, TBD.

2024 ACHIEVEMENTS
Dibble: 3:49, Delhi Marathon.
Joe1970: 3:44:39, Brighton Marathon.
CasB: 3:58:19, Manchester Marathon.