Thames Path 100

34 watchers
Mar 2013
7:52pm, 24 Mar 2013
504 posts
  •  
Avon
Hello all. Tough weekend for the runners out there this weekend with cold and wet weather conditions and wet and muddy ground conditions.

Well done to Els, volunteers and supporters for their efforts over the weekend. The late re-routing of the course and the weather conditions on the weekend meant they were overworked from the start and also had to deal with a high level of drop-outs. Not an easy task but they dealt with matters in their usual professional manner, good job people.

Fantastic effort to everyone who started the race and got as far as they did, it was pretty grim especially at night when you were slip sliding all over the place. The temperature did appear to drop a couple of degrees in the morning aswell which resulted in continued drop-outs at all stages of the race. Layering was essential this weekend.

I managed to trudge out the 104 mile distance (a few bonus miles due to the re-routing) in 22.26 which was a PB by an hour by didn't feel like anything worth celebrating after a good first 48miles in about 8.30 where I met pacer Firemannotsam and we then embarked upon a long slow trudge for the remainder of the race.

Feeling pretty battered now. Didn't change my clothes or socks at all (I was dry with the waterproofs) but my feet kept getting wet and there was no right answer with the shoe choice with ground conditions changing from mud, puddles to tarmac and hard track paths. My feet are blistered and sore and I also managed to pull my groin 3 times (now swollen) and have a bruised back where my head torch dug into my back and managed one comedy fall quite early on when I stumbled over a tree route and ended up sitting in a puddle of mud. All in all, I'm feeling the effects of the weekend at the moment.
Mar 2013
5:27am, 25 Mar 2013
68,650 posts
  •  
santababy
cracking time Avon, well done :) rest up, sounds like its well needed.
Mar 2013
2:20pm, 25 Mar 2013
70 posts
  •  
hunterway
Hi all , wow what an experience that was , my first 100 and loved every minute of it (well up to 82 miles) which i got to in 17 hours but the achilles finally got me and ended up doing 23:22:10 .As Avon said the conditions were grim, i fell 3 times in all which was my own fault for changing shoes at halfway from my speedcross to adidas which were pathetic in the mud so that was 1 lesson learned(never to change shoes of a different make). I also ended up doing 106 miles having run straight past the checkpoint and up the wrong road for a mile(lesson 2 concentrate more) .I apologise now to anyone who heard me swearing for the last 18 miles.
If it wasnt for the achilles i would say i feel really good no other aches and pains,the achilles feels really bad (black and blue)so its rest,ice,heat ice heat etc etc for a while and hopefully it will be ok .
A massive thank-you to all the volunteers ,helpers ,supporters,crews and to Els and his crew for a fantastically well organised event. Roll on The South Downs Way
Mar 2013
9:05pm, 25 Mar 2013
28,571 posts
  •  
Foxy
My pacing was interesting after the "6.25 min miling" I eased off ;) LOL !!!

My pacing plan was going well - 11 mm for 20 miles, 12.30 for 20 & 13.30 for 20, ran my fastest ever 30 miler, fastest ever 40 miler & went through Comrades distance in 11.29 but before 60 I badly pulled my groin & ran / walked for 10 miles before having to walk the final 40 in agonising 22 minute Miling - just beat the cut off by half an hour - i went through 2 pairs of road shoes, Hokas & trail shoes - finished wearing 6 layers but I finished :)

The camaraderie amongst runners, crew & volunteers was amazing great to be part of such a magical event - thank you K-web for walking the final 10 with me :)
Mar 2013
5:49pm, 27 Mar 2013
506 posts
  •  
Avon
Well done Foxy, great effort.
Mar 2013
6:26pm, 27 Mar 2013
28,579 posts
  •  
Foxy
cheers :) was hell out there but wearing my buckle down the pub tonight makes it all worthwhile :)
Apr 2014
4:38pm, 25 Apr 2014
264 posts
  •  
SilverSwift
Bump for 2014 - anyone heading along this year?
Apr 2014
11:30am, 27 Apr 2014
647 posts
  •  
Avon
Yep, I'm back again this year.

I just read my account of last year above ^^^. Not a happy bunny at the time :)
Apr 2014
9:13pm, 28 Apr 2014
1,383 posts
  •  
angelis
I think you will be a lot stronger this year Avon :-)
May 2014
11:00pm, 1 May 2014
271 posts
  •  
SilverSwift
Let's hope the weather's a lot better!

I'm on Aid 1 at Walton, hopefully see you out there Avon :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Binks
So, the British record for running 100 miles on trail is something like 12.43. Can't remember the n...