3 watchers
Sep 2020
12:30pm, 3 Sep 2020
8,305 posts
  •  
GordonG
ok, after thinking about it last night here's my take on my earlier question:

it starts off in 'normal time'.
the woman brings her son on to the boat and sees the 'other woman' dive off the boat.
later, the Russian gets angry with the wife for trying to kill him and takes his wife through the portal and is now (from our perspective) going backwards in time.
He shoots her with the reverse bullet from the window thingy.
The Protagonist also goes through portal and rescues her. he, the Russian and the wife are now all going backwards in time.
Protagonist wonders whether bringing her back in to real/forward time would make the wound heal.
He then takes her to the airport because he knows there's a portal there and he knows that if he's there at the time of the plane crash, there will be so much distraction that he can sneak in.
He goes in to the airport building, fights himself, but manages to bring the woman back in to real / forward time.
the woman recovers, but they have now travelled passed the time where she boarded the boat.

So now there are two of her in this time direction (what we'd call real time).
The version of herself who's gone through two time portals (one to go back and one to get back in to 'real' time) gets on the boat and kills the Russian. This is why she doesn't seem to be in reverse to the crew: she's actually in her correct time direction.
She then dives off the boat as her other self boards.

is that right?

another thing I didn't understand: I got the impression that the Protagonist and the woman weren't allowed to meet up at the end of the film. why was this???
Oct 2020
9:50am, 16 Oct 2020
2,292 posts
  •  
Oranj
I think you're right about the two versions of Kat, both going forward at the end, although that creates the problem then that there will forever be two of her. Messy. Similarly with the two versions of Neil at the end of the battle. I think Nolan got a bit carried away with the forward/backward thing by this point - people were jumping through portals all the time - it didn't really make any self-consistent sense.

The Protagonist and Kat were forbidden from meeting again by Sator (that seemed one of the simpler plot points!), but once he's out of the way they're free to meet.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by GordonG
A safe place to discuss the complexities of the film.

my question:
the scene with the Russian mo...