Techie help please re router / wifi / broadband & alarm

5 watchers
Mar 2016
1:30pm, 3 Mar 2016
4,172 posts
  •  
Nightjar
I guess the reason they appear to prefer a wired ethernet connection is because wireless is unreliable, and for that matter could be blocked (eg by the burglars van with dodgy electrics).
Mar 2016
2:38pm, 3 Mar 2016
1,448 posts
  •  
Fitz
Agree with Larkim up to a point: a dummy bell box could be enough. All you need to do is convince a potential burglar to walk past your house and do next door instead. Harsh but fair.

The kit I'm looking at seems a reasonable compromise between cost, installation effort, deterrence factor, operability... you can spend an awful lot of money on these things!

There has been a marked increase in burglaries locally :-(
Mar 2016
2:46pm, 3 Mar 2016
16,663 posts
  •  
Meglet
Having a box outside isn't a total deterrent. We were burgled at night while we were in, but as we set the alarm at night it went off, meaning the scrotes escaped with what they could immediately grab-in this case my handbag. But it could have been much worse, I suspect they were after car keys, or they might have taken to/computer etc.
I think I'd always have an alarm.
Mar 2016
2:48pm, 3 Mar 2016
16,664 posts
  •  
Meglet
In my area there's an awful lot of burglaries to take car keys. But there's also been a couple of armed robberies, scary stuff where the householders have been threatened-though they seem targeted going by what was taken.
Mar 2016
3:04pm, 3 Mar 2016
4,648 posts
  •  
Pompey Paul
Spooky coincidence. I have a man due here in 1 hour to survey my house for an alarm system due to recent local burglaries :-( It seems the DIY route is half the price of a professionally installed alarm system.
Mar 2016
4:46pm, 3 Mar 2016
1,449 posts
  •  
Fitz
I've done a LOT of research in this area recently PP, happy to fmail you if you need some insights...
Mar 2016
5:08pm, 3 Mar 2016
4,649 posts
  •  
Pompey Paul
Thanks Fitz. They blinded me a bit with some jargon of course. I will see what the quote looks like and maybe drop you an fmail.
Mar 2016
11:05am, 4 Mar 2016
1,353 posts
  •  
Spleen
Interesting about the cost of police response. I had a cursory look at ADT's website and the difference in monthly cost seemed insignificant, but happy to be corrected.

Personally I would rather have one that just made a loud noise. If I'm sleeping upstairs then I don't need my phone to ring. If I'm not then the chances of me receiving the phone message and rushing back to the house to do anything about it is vanishingly small. (And if they're armed then it is likely to be better that I *don't* respond in time.) All the phone message will have accomplished is to ruin my weekend. If I rush back from a race or holiday to get back to the house or if I blithely come back on Monday it makes no practical difference, the same amount of stuff will be gone (and later recovered from the insurer).

But then I live in a city - I guess if you live in a remote farmhouse where no-one else is going to notice the burglar alarm it's different.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Fitz
Hope someone clever might be able to drop the wisdom on this...

I have BT broadband at home, the ...