Tapering

2 watchers
Jul 2017
6:57pm, 17 Jul 2017
88 posts
  •  
Julii
If you aren't following a set training guide, what do you think are the rules for tapering down training before a race? Half of usual distances or what?
Jul 2017
7:01pm, 17 Jul 2017
1,713 posts
  •  
jdarun
No set rules for me, just make sure you aren't too fatigued but also don't go cold turkey.
Jul 2017
7:37pm, 17 Jul 2017
2,224 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
What distance is the race, and what weekly mileage have you been doing ?

For a short race, eg 5k, then very little taper required, just a day or so, but for a marathon then start cutting back from 3 weeks out and go something like 80%, then 60%, then 30-40%.

Most plans will recommend you keep the intensity in the workouts, just cut back on volume. So don't just do a slow plod of all the miles in the taper - eg if you normally do a 6 mile tempo on 1 day, then still run at tempo, but less distance.
Jul 2017
8:19pm, 17 Jul 2017
89 posts
  •  
Julii
Ooh, that's interesting (about intensity but shorter time). I was half wondering on those points.
My race is in 6 days, should be about 75 minutes & I started tapering down today.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
If you aren't following a set training guide, what do you think are the rules for tapering down...