Talk to me about 2nd Hand Running Machines

1 watcher
Dec 2017
10:49am, 5 Dec 2017
30 posts
  •  
Twirlip of the Mists
Hello Fetchies!

I'm looking on Facebay and Ebay and Gumtree and in skips and bins and all the ususal places for a 2nd hand treadmill. The trouble is that I'm looking for one for my wife and I'm a cyclist rather than a runner so I don't really know what I'm looking for.

So, talk to me about brands and prices and models and what to look out for.

Thanks!

--Twirlip
Dec 2017
11:00am, 5 Dec 2017
37,222 posts
  •  
While Raptor Knitted Socks by Night
What does your wife need in terms of speed, incline, amount of use it's likely to get, and whizzy gadgetry?
Dec 2017
11:08am, 5 Dec 2017
31 posts
  •  
Twirlip of the Mists
Thanks White-Raptor-Knitted-Socks-By-Night. I thought my handle was long!

Anway... :-)

Incline isn't important. It doesn't need to go that fast, a max of 10 mins per mile would be fine - this is just to get her (re)started. She has about 20 different HRMs so we don't need any of that.

I'd expect her to use it for 30 min runs about 3 times a week. But that's a guess. Waaaay back in the mists of time she did a marathon and all the associated training. We've had kids and lots of cake since then hence the re-starting. She's talking about a marathon again now so it may end up doing more. But if it can't do more it can be replaced with a better one. That's down the road.
Dec 2017
11:12am, 5 Dec 2017
37,223 posts
  •  
And here I admit a large amount of ignorance! I reckon an entry-level treadmill from any of the major brands will be fine and the most important thing, if you're buying second hand, is that it's only lightly used, all the parts are in good condition, and it fits into the space you have available for it.

It's also worth looking at some of the online discount fitness equipment stores. It's often possible to get a new treadmill without too much outlay.
Dec 2017
11:18am, 5 Dec 2017
32 posts
  •  
Twirlip of the Mists
New kit appeals if it's affordable.
Who sells running gear? Wiggle? Any others that aren't bike shops in disguise?
Dec 2017
11:24am, 5 Dec 2017
57 posts
  •  
icenutter
When I bought mine I set up a saved search on eBay for any treadmill that was under 50 miles from Home. Then I inspected each one as it came up.

Over time, Nordictrack appeared to be the most plentiful brand. Clearly some makes are Argos tat.

I paid about £500 for a nice one (it has a fancy pants screen), but simpler ones were more like half that.
Dec 2017
11:26am, 5 Dec 2017
58 posts
  •  
icenutter
Oh and if you are buying 2nd hand, work out how you are going to pick it up first. I borrowed a trailer from a colleague. There’s no way a decent one will fit in the back of a car without some dissembly.
Dec 2017
11:29am, 5 Dec 2017
33 posts
  •  
Twirlip of the Mists
I was wondering about transport. It was gradually dawning on me that these things aren't small and might not go in the back of the car.
Dec 2017
11:41am, 5 Dec 2017
37,225 posts
  •  
These are the online stores we've bought large items from in the past, including a treadmill.

powerhouse-fitness.co.uk

fitness-superstore.co.uk

Free delivery and interest-free finance being potential benefits over buying second hand!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Hello Fetchies!

I'm looking on Facebay and Ebay and Gumtree and in skips and bins and all th...