Talk Talk's Mark Hollis RIP

3 watchers
Feb 2019
6:46pm, 26 Feb 2019
9,250 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I also discovered Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock years after they were released. Someone on the Listen to an Album for Every Year of Your Life thread recommended them. I'm really glad I got the chance to discover them as they are both brilliant. I'm also going to look out for his solo album as I know nothing about it but it's bound to be worth a listen.
Feb 2019
6:53pm, 26 Feb 2019
30,511 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Agree Little Nemo. Such a sad loss. His poor family. If he had 2 kids in 1998 (really interesting interview from back then) I guess they must be grown up now. But still Such a Shame.
Feb 2019
11:12am, 27 Feb 2019
14,103 posts
  •  
Chrisull
The solo lp is great, though having said that I do prefer the first side to the second, it gradually gets a little more minimal and harder going (it's also a little more discordant than Talk Talk), and the pieces get longer too. It is still all lovely of course.
Feb 2019
11:18am, 27 Feb 2019
30,529 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Looking forward to investigating it. Was relistening to Colour of Spring yesterday. It's fantastic. Driving bass melodic tracks through to ambient soundscape stuff. Brilliant. And so redolent for me. I must have listened to it a million times back in the 80s. :-) G
Feb 2019
2:28pm, 27 Feb 2019
441 posts
  •  
Scorge
sad news, but massively respect him for not playing the game and not churning out albums for the sake of it. spirit of eden is one of those really rare albums that just doesn't sound like anything else (closer by joy division would be another). laughing stock is a slightly (just) lighter interpretation of it, both are wonderful.
Feb 2019
10:01am, 28 Feb 2019
30,546 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Listened to Spirit of Eden last night. Wow! Some quite challenging bits but some very beautiful. I think it would be good on vinyl with all the hisses and pops. And also Spotify put wee pauses between each track which I think would have been continuous on vinyl. Any more info on the "illness"? :-) G
Feb 2019
10:02am, 28 Feb 2019
30,547 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry, quotes " " weren't meant to imply that it wasn't an illness, just that it was only stated as "a short illness, from which he didn't recover", which doesn't really say much. Just interested, not really any of the public's business, of course.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Little Nemo
Found out this morning that Mark Hollis has died :-( Frontman of one of my favourite bands Talk Talk...