Swimming Pages

17 watchers
Mar 2018
3:19pm, 22 Mar 2018
25,276 posts
  •  
JulesR
Can we have 750m and 1k times too?

Have I missed posts about wetsuit times for splits in pools, as coming into open water season I’ll be using a wetsuit in the pool once a week?
Mar 2018
3:23pm, 22 Mar 2018
19,067 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Jules - I'll add those when we've got to the end of April, so as not to confuse people with what we're asking for in the competition. Scribs was asking for similar on the previous page.

I've not seen anything that you've missed, but would be intrigued to know what it does to your pool times. I've been using core shorts since the start of the year, and have trimmed a bit off my times - aiming to try regular shorts this week to see if I revert, or whether I've adapted my swimming style. One thing's for sure, I can't push off as vigourously when I'm wearing the core shorts - I get a bumcrack tsunami :-) #tmi
Mar 2018
3:25pm, 22 Mar 2018
13,374 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
:)
Swim times *should* be faster in a wetsuit. They ought to have a separate league.
Mar 2018
3:28pm, 22 Mar 2018
19,068 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Do you know by how much Angus?
Mar 2018
4:32pm, 22 Mar 2018
25,277 posts
  •  
JulesR
I find about 5-7 secs faster with a wetsuit per 100m on a non-wetsuit time of about 1:50.
One time when using a wetsuit in the pool, someone in the next lane asked me if I was wearing it to give me more resistance:(
Mar 2018
5:13pm, 22 Mar 2018
21,895 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I was hoping to get some swimming logged tomorrow morning but my mother has decided she needs to buy a new jumper (she doesn't) and so that's my morning down the swanee :-(

However, I heard today that the local lido is opening for the season on Good Friday (usually it's the start of May) so a bit of swimming in the open air could take place soon :-)
Mar 2018
7:32pm, 22 Mar 2018
7,457 posts
  •  
GordonG
My (unverified) feeling with wetsuits is that, as a very very slow swimmer, I would expect to gain about 10% in time on an hour long swim in a lake vs not wearing a wetsuit in a pool, though I appreciate that there are a number of variables in that scenario.
Mar 2018
9:50am, 23 Mar 2018
8,425 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I was slightly depressed to find out how much slower my non-wetsuit open water swimming is :-(

I've been AWOL from my swimming lessons this year so I need to restart these and then join my teacher when she starts OW sessions again.
Mar 2018
10:40am, 23 Mar 2018
13,377 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Hi Fetch, I don’t have any empirical data, sorry.

Jules' 5-7s/100 sounds about right and equates to ~6½% faster. My stats suggest 8-10% faster.

However, as Gordon points out there’s a lot of variables with comparing OW with pool swimming, not least accurate measurement and precise route-following. And many pools won’t allow you to swim in a wetsuit, even if it’s clean, so it can be difficult to get comparative experience.

Got me thinking now. Might be something to work on this summer.
Jan 2019
9:39pm, 4 Jan 2019
25,185 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Is it a good time to resurrect this thread? :-)

Alerted by Sallykate's comment on McGoohan's blog today, I discovered that the Aspire English Channel Challenge now takes place between the end of January and April, whereas the last time I did the challenge it was September to December. I think an early year challenge would suit me much better and get me ready for the time when OW swimming becomes an option again :-)

Only trouble is, when I went to sign up, I somehow got stuck in a loop between the Aspire site and my JustGiving account (I don't ask for sponsorship but make a donation when I complete the challenge). So I don't think I've actually signed up yet :-(

The challenge starts on Jan 28. The link is here: aspirechannelswim.co.uk

When I was teaching I used to print out the interactive map from the website each Sunday evening, to pin up on my class noticeboard on the Monday morning. (The map shows how far across the virtual Channel you've got.) There were a couple of kids who never quite got their heads round the 'virtual' bit, and believed that every weekend I was swimming a mile of the real thing :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For a while now, we've been planning to put together some pages for swimmers. There are little bits of swimming content all around the site - but if you don't know your way around, it can be pretty daunting I guess.

This week I've been working on a page that brings it all together. It's *NOT* finished yet (there are big holes, as you can see), but I figure most of you are used to that - and it's always useful to get input and suggestions. Being able to look at something can often trigger suggestions too.

With all that in mind, here's something for you to look at:

fetcheveryone.com/training-swim.php

Let me know what you think of what's already there, and what else could go there.

Ta :-)