Suunto Ambit .SML files

5 watchers
Sep 2014
5:00pm, 3 Sep 2014
3,064 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
Anyone know how best to crowbar these into Fetch - they changed from XML a few weeks ago and now wont upload.

thanks

chris
Sep 2014
5:04pm, 3 Sep 2014
114 posts
  •  
nuttyficket
Two options, Chris: either manually edit them to get them to look like they did before the upgrade (you can use a decent text editor), or upload them to MovesCount, export a GPX from there, then import the GPX into Fetch. A bit of faff, I know.
Sep 2014
8:49pm, 4 Sep 2014
1,636 posts
  •  
MikeR.
They way i do it is. Upload to moves count let that transfer to strava then export the gpx from there it only exports the data fetch needs and are smaller files
Sep 2014
7:11pm, 10 Sep 2014
7 posts
  •  
deebxx
Yes that's the way I do it too. Its very annoying though and faffy!
Oct 2014
8:50am, 24 Oct 2014
25 posts
  •  
StickyWilliams
When the files are uploaded from the ambit, they do get stored on your machine somewhere in .SML format. I found mine on my macbook under my home directoy the Library/Application support/Suunto/Moveslink2. Yeah - very longwinded, but once you know they are there you can upload them direct to fetch very easily.
Jul 2015
10:45pm, 28 Jul 2015
8 posts
  •  
lifeboatjohn
Hi Steve, help...how do I find these .SML files....can't seem to find them anywhere!
Jul 2015
10:53pm, 28 Jul 2015
333 posts
  •  
notpete
lifeboatjohn, what operating system are you using?

On Windows 8.1 (at least, probably works for Windows 7 too), typing %APPDATA%\Suunto\Moveslink2 into the bar in Windows Explorer will bring you to the right directory. (For me, that resolves to C:\Users\Rich\AppData\Roaming\Suunto\Moveslink2 - if you're not called Rich, it's probably slightly different :))
Jul 2015
10:56pm, 28 Jul 2015
5,347 posts
  •  
Badger
On a PC with Windows 8, they're in

C:\Users\Badger\AppData\Roaming\Suunto\Moveslink2

(Replace Badger with whatever your username is)
Jul 2015
11:00pm, 28 Jul 2015
335 posts
  •  
notpete
Badger, I guess .sml upload to Fetch works now? As per the OP, it didn't after Suunto went and bodged around with the file format.
Jul 2015
11:31pm, 28 Jul 2015
5,348 posts
  •  
Badger
I believe that it does, though in fact I don't upload them directly - I wrote a program using the FE and Training Peaks API to convert the SML to TCX and send them in bulk to Fetch and TP. The API documentation says it only supports TCX and GPX.

Nice one on the %appdata% - the documentation suggests that should work at least as far back as Vista.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisThePuma
Anyone know how best to crowbar these into Fetch - they changed from XML a few weeks ago and now won...