Suunto Ambit GPS watch

30 watchers
Feb 2016
10:42pm, 9 Feb 2016
6,847 posts
  •  
Badger
Missed this conversation in December.
GPX doesn't hold much data beyond location, elevation and pace; you're better off with TCX or FIT (which are progressively newer Garmin standards).
I don't have any helpful suggestions for Fetch transfers of data you've synced via phone, but if you sync via Movescount on a computer, it leaves SML files on the computer, and I have an app which will help you bulk upload those.
I should point out that you can also use the official FE ZIP uploader here http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-import-zip.php to upload a zip file full of SML files; the only advantage of mine is that it checks when your last upload to Fetch was, and automatically offers you files on that date or newer. (The API doesn't let you check the exact time of an activity, so identifying exactly the right files is tricky, but it gets close).
Apr 2016
11:25am, 23 Apr 2016
88 posts
  •  
thing
Has Suunto updated something lately? All of a sudden my runs are uploading automatically via Bluetooth - previously, I couldn't get that to work no matter what I tried.

All this magic is very lovely, but it does mean I no longer have sml files on my computer to upload to fetch. Is there any alternative to downloading gpx files from movescount then uploading them here? I know it's not loads of work, but, well, I want more things to happen automagically :)
May 2016
9:33pm, 1 May 2016
99 posts
  •  
thing
I have no useful information to impart, but that bulk FE ZIP uploader link is great, so thank you, Badger. Never again shall I worry about gpx size :)

Why is it not linked to from 'Add Training'? Is it top secret? :)
Jan 2017
9:14pm, 9 Jan 2017
7,950 posts
  •  
Joopsy
I have a brand new HR strap that I got with my ambit one, I have since upgraded to the 3 and only just realised that you need a different strap and the other won't pair.

Can anyone use it for nowt?
Feb 2018
10:36am, 11 Feb 2018
1,012 posts
  •  
CharlieP
I was given an Ambit3 for Christmas and am loving it so far, but one thing that's puzzling me is the average pace. If I click on the middle button during a run I can select a screen that has, for example, [ avg 4'25 /km ] in the centre of the screen, but I don't trust that it is a true average pace, as the numbers change far too quickly when I've already done enough distance for my average pace to be fairly static. It can't be current pace as there's another screen for that - is it average pace for current lap (which seems a less than useful stat)?
Feb 2018
10:43am, 11 Feb 2018
1,013 posts
  •  
CharlieP
Quickly mathsing what I'm talking about - say I've run 4 km and my average pace is showing as 4:25/km. If I next looked at my watch in 30 seconds' time, I'd have to run at 2:36/km pace for it to improve it to 4:20/km, or at 13:30/km for it to drop to 4:30/km. Yet I'm seeing even bigger swings than that.
Feb 2018
11:07am, 11 Feb 2018
1,014 posts
  •  
CharlieP
Ah, I think I may have sussed it. When I go to Movescount and 'Create new sports mode', the 'Choose what to show in this row' options for the middle row are:

Speed
Average speed
Pace

Lap avg speed
Lap avg pace

You need to go all the way along to Multisport to find 'Current activity avg pace'. This seems to imply that the default running mode uses Lap avg pace, which as I say seems less than useful if you want to see if you're on pace for a PB. My options seem to be creating my own mode or turning off autolap (which I never used on previous watches, to be honest).
XB
Feb 2018
11:49am, 11 Feb 2018
6,627 posts
  •  
XB
IIRC, Movescount allows you to set what is shown on each screen as you scroll through. For example, I have (via Me->My Watches->Sport Mode = Running

1. Total Distance, Total Time, Avge Pace
2. Lap distance, Lap Time, Lap No (defaults to mile autolaps)
3. Overall average pace
4. Total distance
5. Total time
6. Time of day

For Sport mode "Race" I have

1. Distance/average pace
Feb 2018
12:02pm, 11 Feb 2018
1,015 posts
  •  
CharlieP
Yes, it all started making sense once I realised all the settings were in Movesapp. Should have given it a bit longer before wailing for help. :)
Feb 2019
3:09pm, 20 Feb 2019
21,314 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Good news folks. At 12.34 today I was granted access to the developer API to build my test import. At exactly 3pm, I submitted my request for access to the live API. All being well, pretty soon you'll be able to import from your Suunto without having to download and upload FIT files.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Want want want... :D

http://ultra168.com/2012/01/19/exclusive-new-suunto-ambit-gps-watch-and-win-...

To upload from your Suunto Ambit to fetcheveryone, you need the xml files which are stored locally on your computer each time you sync the watch, you don't need to export from movescount. Go to the fetch suunto upload page, and get the file from C: Users, *yourname*, AppData, Roaming, Suunto, Moveslink2 if your using windows 7 or if you're on XP, they're in C: Documents And Settings, *your name*, Application Data, Suunto, Moveslink2